• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clear liquids diet

ElainaA

I am getting close to a time on a clear liquid diet. I am not fond of jello or Seven-up. I have made a batch of consomme using Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Mark Bittman's recipe. I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions. (I made an argument for white wine and vodka as clear liquids but my doctor didn't buy it.)

Elaina

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Clear liquids are meant to used for a short period of time and they are boring.  I would just get a variety of clear juices which will provide you with your basic carbohydrates requirement .  Sip on them and your consommé six or eight times throughout the day.

Are you allowed  chai tea? Or chai apple cider?  

When I was on liquid diet I was allowed these and they helped the boredom of  chicken  consomme , pork broth,  beef consomme and vegetable consomme.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Cat Poet - Chai tea I think is acceptable. Various teas may be the saving grace. I was just given some lovely stem ginger so ginger tea is on. Cider I believe is too opaque. I think I may have to make some beef consomme. 

Elaina

I know that you said you were not fond of Jello, but perhaps you were just referring to the boxed product?  For some variety and texture, you can use plain gelatin to make something with your clear liquids. That consomme can be jellied, as well as your juices and teas. And, of course, you can use fancy molds to dress up your portions.

Tomato water should be useful to you, you could make a lovely clear aspic from it. You could make waters from other watery vegetables like celery, bell peppers, lettuce, onions, cucumber, garlic, etc. just filter carefully. You could mix waters to make a sort of gazpacho. (too bad about the vodka, you could have a Bloody Mary made from tomato water, celery water, and vodka)

• Like 2

Oh if  clear apple juice is oki then clear  wine grape juice should be oki, we have a white here, no alcohol that is so yummy.

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Lisa - The jellies sound interesting - white grape juice? maybe ginger tea jelly?

MM84321 - We have great tasting water but for a day and a half i need some variety.

Now to get some gelatin and experiment.....

Elaina

As of today I am back on a normal diet (read:omnivorous). 

Lisa - your suggestion of home made gelatins supplied the best things I ate over 2 days. The best was made with white grape juice following (of all things) a Martha Stewart recipe - nothing but fruit juice and gelatin. Very nice taste and texture - I appreciated having something non-liquid, if not quite solid, in my mouth. I also made a gelatin with a mixture of white cranberry juice and apple juice - which turned out too sweet. I fully intended to make another with ginger tea - but I ended up simply drinking the tea. 

Besides the gelatins I had some really delicious  consumme that  I had made in advance, various teas (chai, ginger, darjeeling) the occasional ginger ale and lots of water. Boring but livable.

The clear liquid diet was preceded by 7 days of low fiber - no raw fruit or vegetables, no whole grains or dried beans, etc. I am having an enormous salad today for lunch.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Elaina 

• Like 2

Well I am on clear liquid form tomorrow, see what the second doctor says and then broth, rice and chicken for another week...   Not what I had hoped for, but well that is life.