• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keep butter melted, without heat.

Anonymous Modernist 11836

Alright so I am thinking about bottling and selling my own hot sauce. The base is butter and whenever it cools it solidifies. It's not that big of a deal, you can just throw it on whatever you're cooking and it melts right over top everything.

But, I would really like it to keep in a liquid form. I know if I used clarified butter, that will increase the shelf life and I wouldn't have to refrigerate it. But, is there anything I can add to it to keep it in a liquid form??

Happy Valley Chow

The problem is that butter is made up of saturated fatty acids (well, about 50%) and as such will always be a solid at room temperature. Clarifying the butter gets rid of the milk solids, but won't do anything about it's physical state.

Now, you may wish to try mixing clarified butter in a 50/50 mixture with canola oil. That will keep it a liquid, but at the expense of flavor.