• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee a la Aeropress

Anonymous Modernist 6826

In Modernist Cuisine, there is a brief mention of the Aeropress along with a suggested brewing method. From my various experiments with brewing and reading about coffee, I have found that seemingly small increments in the amount of water can make a perceivable difference in taste. I'm wondering if any of the MC Staff, particularly Nathan (due to his recommendation of the Aeropress in an interview) and Chris (due to his publicized interest in coffee) have a specific method they use. For example, brewing time, grind size, water temperature etc.

Personally, I follow a method loosely based off of James Hoffmann. Here are my specs:

Aeropress (inverted) + metal filter

12g coffee (drip grind)

200g water (93C)

I make sure to preheat all my equipment and brew for one minute in between stirring the water & grounds (pre and post brew). I would be very interested to see what methods the MC Staff apply.