• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long should confit duck legs store?

Anonymous Modernist 602

Sale on ducks at Whole Foods led to a duck-buying binge. I've cured and confited duck legs according to the recipe on 3:178 (Duck leg confit with pommes sarladaises).

My question: how long will these legs store under refrigeration in their vacuum bags (I assume I should keep them in the cooking bags for optimal storage)? Given that confit is largely a preserving process, I think I should have a pretty long shelf life. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have cured, fully vacuum-sealed, and cooked the duck to the proper time & temperature, it should be fully pasteurized. So, in principle, it should keep for a couple of months.

In our confit, it is especially important that it is properly vacuum-sealed. Usually, when confit is cooked in fat, the fat is what prevents the air from getting into the meat, but with our method, it is the vacuum seal that does this.