• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

14 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Here's how to do the math, if you really want to think about the thermal relevance of the lining material.

The thermal conductivity of each metal, in W/(mK) [Watts per meter x degree Kelvin]:

Stainless Steel 16
Tin 67
Copper 401

If we look at similarly constructed pans, with 2.4mm of copper and 0.1mm lining material, we get a total conductivity per pan of:

copper/tin: 0.9691 W/K
copper/ss: 0.964 W/K

Which is to say, the tin-lined pan will conduct heat 1/2 of 1% faster than the stainless lined pan.

If you can notice that difference, then you need more mattresses  between yourself and the pea than this princesses does.

My vote is that you're imagining it.

Sigh...  Now do it again, comparing: (a)  3.2mm copper +  with 0.2mm of tin wiped on (standard hotel-grade copper); with (b) 2.3mm of copper with 0.2mm of SS (Falk).  Then see how much heat makes it to their respective rims.  Extra credit for including  (c) something like Demeyere Atlantis or Sitram Profisserie.  Or, if you're a glutton for punishment, compute the thermal diffusivity for both/all of those, and see how it compares to the best clad you can find.

It's not the conductivity difference between tin and SS that's salient.  It's that there is next to no SS-lined bimetal using >2.3mm of copper.

I'm doing some thermal videography next month of my pan prototypes.  I was planning to use some tinned copper anyway for comparison.  But now I'll also do some clad, so everyone can see...

boilsover

boilsover

10 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Here's how to do the math, if you really want to think about the thermal relevance of the lining material.

The thermal conductivity of each metal, in W/(mK) [Watts per meter x degree Kelvin]:

Stainless Steel 16
Tin 67
Copper 401

If we look at similarly constructed pans, with 2.4mm of copper and 0.1mm lining material, we get a total conductivity per pan of:

Which is to say, the tin-lined pan will conduct heat 1/2 of 1% faster than the stainless lined pan.

If you can notice that difference, then you need more mattresses  between yourself and the pea than this princesses does.

Sigh...  Now do it again, comparing: (a)  3.2mm copper +  with 0.2mm of tin wiped on (standard hotel-grade copper); with (b) 2.3mm of copper with 0.2mm of SS (Falk).  Then see how much heat makes it to their respective rims.  Extra credit for including  (c) something like Demeyere Atlantis or Sitram Profisserie.  Or, if you're a glutton for punishment, compute the thermal diffusivity for both/all of those, and see how it compares to the best clad you can find.

It's not the conductivity difference between tin and SS that's salient.  It's that there is next to no SS-lined bimetal usin >2.3mm of copper.

I'm doing some thermal videography next month of my pan prototypes.  I was planning to use some tinned copper anyway for comparison.  But now I'll also do some clad, so everyone can see...

boilsover

boilsover

7 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Stainless Steel 16
Tin 67
Copper 401

Sigh...  Now do it again, comparing: (a)  3.2mm copper +  with 0.2mm of tin wiped on (standard hotel-grade copper); with (b) 2.3mm of copper with 0.2mm of SS (Falk).  Then see how much heat makes it to their respective rims.  Extra credit for including  (c) something like Demeyere Atlantis or Sitram Profisserie.

Or, if you're a glutton for punishment, compute the thermal diffusivity for both/all of those, and see how it compares to the best clad you can find....

boilsover

boilsover

5 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Stainless Steel 16
Tin 67
Copper 401

Sigh...  Now do it again, comparing: (a)  3.2mm copper +  with 0.2mm of tin wiped on; with (b) 2.3mm of copper with 0.2mm of SS.  Then see how much heat makes it to their respective rims.

Or, if you're a glutton for punishment, compute the thermal diffusivity for both of those, and see how it compares to the best clad you can find....

boilsover

boilsover

2 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Stainless Steel 16
Tin 67
Copper 401

Sigh...  Now do it again, comparing: (a)  3.2mm copper +  with 0.2mmof tin wiped on; with (b) 2.3mm of copper with 0.2mm of SS.

Or, if you're a glutton for punishment, compute the thermal diffusivity for both of those, and see how it compares to the best clad you can find....