• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla Powder

Shel_B

As I continue my exploration of baking and making desserts, I came across mention of vanilla powder. There are some features of the product that seem useful for me, and I'd like to look further into this product.

what should I look for in vanilla powder? Any brands that are recommended? Pluses and minuses compared to good vanilla extract? What might an equivalent amount be for a teaspoon of extract?

Thanks!

... Shel

If you're talking about actual ground vanilla beans just use any brand that has been reliable for other spices. Check the freshness date, and get the freshest you can; that seems to matter more than the brand (this is the standard other-than-pod form in which you find vanilla in Denmark, and I haven't come across any brand that I've been particularly dissatisfied with).

The advantages/disadvantages are going to be specific to whatever you're using the vanilla in: If you use powder, you get a lot of flecks; if you use extract, you also get a small amount of liquid. The powder can deliver more concentrated flavour, but sometimes you need to bloom it to get the full effect.

No idea of equivalents, since there isn't even any standard intensity for all extract or all powders, but you're probably not going to screw things up by using too much or too little. I generally use something in the neighbourhood of a teaspoon for a cake recipe that makes two layers, but there have been times that I've tripled that, when I've wanted really in-your-face vanilla (I usually add black pepper on those occasions; pairs well with vanilla).

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

are you talking about something like this?

Bertolini vanillina powder http://www.sanremofoods.com/Products/ProductInfoPages/BERVAN.html

My understanding is this is made from synthetic vanillin

it also comes in packages combined with baking powder

No, I have no interest in synthetic vanilla.

... Shel

If you're talking about actual ground vanilla beans just use any brand that has been reliable for other spices. Check the freshness date, and get the freshest you can; that seems to matter more than the brand (this is the standard other-than-pod form in which you find vanilla in Denmark, and I haven't come across any brand that I've been particularly dissatisfied with).

The advantages/disadvantages are going to be specific to whatever you're using the vanilla in: If you use powder, you get a lot of flecks; if you use extract, you also get a small amount of liquid. The powder can deliver more concentrated flavour, but sometimes you need to bloom it to get the full effect.

No idea of equivalents, since there isn't even any standard intensity for all extract or all powders, but you're probably not going to screw things up by using too much or too little. I generally use something in the neighbourhood of a teaspoon for a cake recipe that makes two layers, but there have been times that I've tripled that, when I've wanted really in-your-face vanilla (I usually add black pepper on those occasions; pairs well with vanilla).

Yes, it's the ground vanilla beans. I don't expect to use it for everything I cook, but I can see the advantages for some things. It's just another option to consider.

Black pepper and vanilla - yes, that is a nice combination.

Thanks for your explanation and info. It has been very helpful.

... Shel

As I've looked further into this, I discovered that not all vanilla powders are equal or even similar. I noticed that some were darker than others, and upon further exploration learned that some powders are made with added sugar and other ingredients. One contains a vanilla powder or liquid sprayed on silicone dioxide (to enhance flow characteristics) - Sheesh! And many of these have containers labeled as containing "pure" vanilla beans. It seems, at least at this point, the darker powders are more expensive and contain only vanilla beans. Anyone know anything more about this aspect of the product?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I have tried several products from different vendors during the past ten years or so. Some have been okay but some were not at all useful and one had a really bad flavor (like kerosene) and I returned it to the vendor. I bought some at Williams-Sonoma that had so little flavor I had to use several times as much as the one I now use, to achieve even a modicum of flavor.

For the past three or four years I have used only the pure powder from The Vanilla Company and I also use a lot of their vanilla PASTE (the Madagascar Bourbon) and while a pound may sound like a lot - but I use it spread with sugar on pastries prior to baking, in ice cream and in custards, cakes, pies and etc., and find that a pound will last only about 4-6 months - less in the run up to the holidays when my baking increases.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For the past three or four years I have used only the pure powder from The Vanilla Company and I also use a lot of their vanilla PASTE (the Madagascar Bourbon)

That's one of but three companies I found that seem to produce or sell a quality product.

I frequent a local spice company that carries Nielsen-Massey - though I haven't tried the powder myself, they say it is very good and it sells quickly.Though I know that's not a lot for you to go on, I thought I would provide the details anyway. :smile:

Here is link:

http://www.nielsenmassey.com/consumer/products-pure-vanilla-powder.php

Edited by FauxPas (log)

I frequent a local spice company that carries Nielsen-Massey - though I haven't tried the powder myself, they say it is very good and it sells quickly.Though I know that's not a lot for you to go on, I thought I would provide the details anyway. :smile:

Here is link:

I would not buy Nielsen-Massey vanilla powder. Although the label claims that the product is pure vanilla powder, and the ad you linked to claims the product is pure vanilla powder, that is an outright fabrication. Read the ingredients: the first ingredient is Maltodextrin.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

Here is link:

I would not buy Nielsen-Massey vanilla powder. Although the label claims that the product is pure vanilla powder, and the ad you linked to claims the product is pure vanilla powder, that is an outright fabrication. Read the ingredients: the first ingredient is Maltodextrin.

That's the brand I purchased at Williams-Sonoma several years ago and which was useless. Little flavor so one had to use double or three times the amount to get the same flavor one gets with PURE vanilla powder.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That's the brand I purchased at Williams-Sonoma several years ago and which was useless. Little flavor so one had to use double or three times the amount to get the same flavor one gets with PURE vanilla powder.

How can they advertise and label the product as "pure" vanilla powder when it so obviously isn't? A definition of the word pure is: not mixed or adulterated with any other substance or material, yet this product is mixed with a substantial amount of maltodextrin.

... Shel

How can they advertise and label the product as "pure" vanilla powder when it so obviously isn't? A definition of the word pure is: not mixed or adulterated with any other substance or material, yet this product is mixed with a substantial amount of maltodextrin.

All that means is that it is made with pure vanilla. It can be made of 99% rutabas or toenail clippings and 1% vanilla bean, and it still counts.

I don't understand why you are looking for 'vanilla powder', when that is not what you want; look for "ground vanilla bean".

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I don't understand why you are looking for 'vanilla powder', when that is not what you want; look for "ground vanilla bean".

I understood that vanilla powder was the same thing as ground vanilla. A search for vanilla powder brought up several ground vanilla bean options, and they were described as vanilla powder. I'll try searching for ground vanilla and see if something different comes up. I did find a couple of brands that will fit my needs, though, even when searching for vanilla powder.

... Shel