• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:31 AM, Smithy said:

Their new web site has the advert as a banner across the top, and I've followed the link to check it out. It does look interesting.  It's expensive, of course, but that's me being a tightwad, and expense is a relative thing. For instance, 2 meals for 2 people in my test scenario came out to $61: $29 for oven-roasted chicken shawarma and $32 for glazed salmon.  The photos, of course, look wonderful.  I'm pretty sure I could do either of those for less money, but I'm pretty sure either would cost more at a restaurant around here.  I may try it; if so, I'll post back here.  I hope someone tries it out and reports here!

I can eat for a week for less than the cost of those meals.  I've priced out what it costs, and was surprised at how inexpensively meals can be prepared, including the cost for the electricity to cook.  True, we eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, not so much meat.  We buy from the various farmers markets, TJ's for a variety of items, specialty shops for produce, poultry, and fish, and I purchase mostly organic.

I would never pay for someone to prep my food and ship it to me.  Does one really know what they're getting in that manner?  And freshness can often take second place to convenience.  Feh!

Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:31 AM, Smithy said:

Their new web site has the advert as a banner across the top, and I've followed the link to check it out. It does look interesting.  It's expensive, of course, but that's me being a tightwad, and expense is a relative thing. For instance, 2 meals for 2 people in my test scenario came out to $61: $29 for oven-roasted chicken shawarma and $32 for glazed salmon.  The photos, of course, look wonderful.  I'm pretty sure I could do either of those for less money, but I'm pretty sure either would cost more at a restaurant around here.  I may try it; if so, I'll post back here.  I hope someone tries it out and reports here!

I can eat for a week for less than the cost of those meals.  I've priced out what it costs, and was surprised at how inexpensively meals can be prepared, including the cost for the electricity to cook.  rue, we eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, not so much meat.  We buy from the various farmers markets, TJ's for a variety of items, and I purchase mostly organic.

I would never pay for someone to prep my food and ship it to me.  Does one really know what they're getting in that manner?  And freshness can often take second place to convenience.  Feh!