• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ghee or Plain Butter with Yams?

Shel_B

For Thanksgiving dinner I'm making Garnet yams with lavender infused butter. However, I have a jar of ghee that I bought a while back, and it's quite a bit richer tasting than the butter I plan to use. Do you think the ghee may be too intense for this dish? The butter I plan to use is Kerrygold, which has a higher fat content than standard supermarket butter.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

That is a tough one -- I love both Ghee and higher fat butters -- I think either one would be great -- has the Ghee been kept in the fridge or at room temp? I like to keep mine in the spice cabinet at room temp and it seems to be a bit more "flavorful" than the stuff I have kept in the fridge (that could be because it is slightly rancid, but I am ok with that). I think that the Ghee will be much richer, but as far as too intense -- that is a matter of preference -- I think that Ghee holds up especially well in yam/sweet potato dishes -- much more so than the average white potato, in my opinion -- Are the yams going to be baked? Is the lavender butter a finisher? Sounds delicious either way.

The yams will be baked, and they may have a bit of caramelized flavor to them - haven't decided yet. I was thinking that the ghee would be a good choice in that case, but not too sure otherwise. The butter will be incorporated into the yams, along with some toasted, candied pecans.

... Shel