• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Maple Syrup Challenge: Unofficial Mixology Sunday!

ChrisTaylor

I've been gifted some smoked maple syrup. Now, that little handwritten label that says 'smoked maple syrup'? The person that penned that wasn't fucking around. This stuff is smoky. You wouldn't want this on your pancakes unless you're the kind of person that would buy, say, the bacon-scented cosmetics and bacon-flavoured mints and etc sold on ThinkGeek.

I don't see much potential for this in a breakfast context. Indeed, the reason I'm posting this in the cocktail section is because I think it could be used well in the cocktail world. My first thought is some sort of Old Fashioned variation (think the Benton's bacon Old Fashioned put out by PDT). Although I'm also wondering if it could get along with Perique if both were used sparingly. Perhaps it might enjoy associating with a funky rum such as Smith & Cross or Inner Circle.

Any suggestions on where to start? If you have some smoked maple syrup you can play at home and maybe win the trip to Fiji.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I think a variation on this with smoked maple in place of the honey syrup could work very well.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=233007736847318&set=a.224643744350384.1073741825.162369513911141&type=1&theater

Oh there are soooo many to choose from. The Sapelo Island Old fashioned. The Tarmini. Celtic Confusion. The Duraflame. Smokarita.

But in the interest of simplicity and in remembrance of warmer days gone by I present

Campari, Smoke, and Seltzer. Cool, smoky, semi bitter Italian café candy. Ciao!