• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Almond butter

Franci

I used to love this almond butter from Sicily: peeled, toasted, unsalted almonds. No extra ingredients.

Fantastic.

In the States I see it's more common to find almond butter made from unpeeled almonds which I don't like. Everything I tried so far did not match my ideal butter: no skin, toasted, unsalted, just almonds, creamy.

Cannot make my own for now. Do you have a name for me?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I used to love this almond butter from Sicily: peeled, toasted, unsalted almonds. No extra ingredients.

Fantastic.

In the States I see it's more common to find almond butter made from unpeeled almonds which I don't like. Everything I tried so far did not match my ideal butter: no skin, toasted, unsalted, just almonds, creamy.

Cannot make my own for now. Do you have a name for me?

What brand did you get in Italy? It might not be impossible to find in NYC, although it might take a bit of research/legwork (i.e. you may need to contact the company to ask if and to whom they distribute in the metro area). The only US-made ones I've seen are like those you describe, and are made from whole almonds.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Thank you Martin!

I've already tried Barney butter, the one I bought contained cane sugar, salt and palm fruit oil. My son loved it, of course. To me it has a really strange taste. I saw from their catalog that the carry also a butter made of almond and palm fruit oil, I'm guessing it 's going to be a little runnier but worth the try.

Michaela, it's called Damiano.

You can find easily in the Uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Damiano-Butter-Selection-Pack-4x180g/dp/B00EOWB3ZG/ref=sr_1_4?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1382960180&sr=1-4&keywords=Damiano

I tried all the almond line: raw (don't like), roasted with peel it's ok. The best for me it's peeled roasted.

And love their hazelnut paste for yogurt.

Palm oil is sometimes added to keep the almond oil from separating.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Thank you Martin!

I've already tried Barney butter, the one I bought contained cane sugar, salt and palm fruit oil. My son loved it, of course. To me it has a really strange taste. I saw from their catalog that the carry also a butter made of almond and palm fruit oil, I'm guessing it 's going to be a little runnier but worth the try.

Michaela, it's called Damiano.

You can find easily in the Uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Damiano-Butter-Selection-Pack-4x180g/dp/B00EOWB3ZG/ref=sr_1_4?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1382960180&sr=1-4&keywords=Damiano

I tried all the almond line: raw (don't like), roasted with peel it's ok. The best for me it's peeled roasted.

And love their hazelnut paste for yogurt.

It sounds delicious :) Damiano has done food shows around the US (http://www.damianorganic.it/it/fiere.jsp), so they seem to be working on their presence there, and it might be worth e-mailing their marketing person, to ask if and where this is availalble somewhere reasonably near you (http://www.damianorganic.it/it/contatti.htm).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org