• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maillard Solution

Beusho

I just completed a broccoli roast from a Cook's Illustrated recipe, pretty simple: salt, sugar, olive oil, put on hot pan from 500F oven, roast for 10 min. I was surprised, I wasn't expecting much given that broccoli doesn't have complex flavors but there were subtle caramelized flavors which CI said was from the sugar. Knowing the maillard reaction is basically protein+sugar+heat=caramelization has anyone ever tried making a protein+sugar solution for roasting vegetables? I've heard of the glucose solution brushed on steak but my experience with that was that it didn't do so much.

Questions I had were:

1. Glucose vs. Table sugar. Does the glucose do a better job?

2. What protein? Whey, some other thing?

3. Does it work?

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

I saute romaine or bok choi in butter till decidedly browned. Makes it sweet and nutty tasting. I presume the butter provides all the needed stuff to Maillard the leaves.<br />

Edited by gfweb (log)

Technically speaking, the Maillard reaction is separate from caramelization, but they usually happen at the same time (high heat).

With that said, baking soda will encourage browning as the reaction is faster at a higher pH. I use this technique sometimes to make pralines or the popular pressure-cooked caramelized soups from the Modernist Cuisine. As gfweb said, cooking almost anything in brown butter is a sure way to make it delicious :)

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 1