• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York State Wine

jaybee

Getting cabin fever after three days of Christmas indulgence, we took a drive to Millbrook, NY (Rt. 44 off the Taconic Parkway) on Saturday. The sun was out and snow looked like sugar icing covering branches, rocks and shrubs.

Impulsively I turned off to visit the Millbrook Winery, which is owned by John Dyson. The chais is an impressive building situated high over the vinyards with beautiful views of the Catskills on one side and the foothills of the Berkshires on the other. Tastings were offered, and I tried the Founders Special Reserve Chardonnay, 1997, the nv Chardonnay, 2000 Pinot Noir and 2000 Zinfandel, which is made from grapes grown in Dyson's California vinyards. All were bloody awful except for the Zin, which makes a passable picnic wine. I bought two bottles of the Zin for $16 each. I so wanted to like the wine, living just a few miles from there and all.

Has anyone come across any NY State wines that you'd recommend?

millbrook makes a cab franc if i'm not mistaken, which i enjoy. i generally find that NY's (long island specifically) cab francs and non-oaked whites are very drinkable and food friendly. their cab franks are closer stylistically to those of loire, rather than the fruit bombs that california is still producing.

dr. frank (fingerlakes) makes a very light and enjoyable summertime pinot noir, as well as a rielsing (bottled under the salmon run label).

pelligrino and schneider cab francs have been decent in recent years, and are very often found on NYC wine lists.

millbrook makes a cab franc if i'm not mistaken,

They do, Tommy. My loss for not trying it at the tasting. Something to try. Thanks for the other names. Clinton Vinyards is also nearby. Any experience with their wines?

They do, Tommy.  My loss for not trying it at the tasting.  Something to try.  Thanks for the other names.  Clinton Vinyards is also nearby.  Any experience with their wines?

long island is most noted for its cab francs. give them a shot. if you find the style compelling, then you'll have a whole different world to explore. do check out vintage new york wine store and visit them, as they offer tastings of many many NYS wines.

Edited by tommy (log)

Oh, Jaybee, you MUST go to Vintage NY! You could even have gone today because as the retail outlet of a winery (I forget which one at the moment -- it's partly owned by Susan Wine) they are allowed to open on Sundays. In any case, the staff there is extremely knowledgeable about the wines. And you can taste EVERYTHING they have in stock.

We have been very pleased with Chardonnays from Paumanock (North Fork, LI); Knapp Sangiovese (Finger Lakes); and as Tommy mentioned, Dr. Konstantin Frank's Riesling -- that's one that we had with Jason and Rachel at Gage and Tollner, and found surprisingly good for the price.

I also liked the Millbrook Cab Franc, and the reserve Pinot Noir wasn't awful. They also produce a nice olive oil from an estate they own in Tuscany.

If you ever have a chance to visit Cascade Mt Winery, which is also on the Dutchess Wine Trail, it's a great little place. Very small and kinda funky. We haven't timed it right to have lunch there but the menu looks good. I just opened a bottle of the Seyval Blanc the other night, one of two bottles we bought at the winery after a tour -- bought mostly because we felt bad leaving empty handed, but you know, it's not bad.

Clinton Vineyards produced an OK1997 sparkling white, don't recall much about it.

The tasting room is (was?) dotted with info about the wines they provided for Bill Clinton's 1993 Presidential inauguration. Perhaps they will cater Mrs Clinton's Presidential inauguration in 2005...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We have managed to stop by Cascade MT twice for wine tasting and lunch. Both the food and the wine are, IMO, good but not great (although I do have an affinity for their spiced wine heated or poured over ice cream), but the atmostphere makes up for it. I really enjoy sitting out on the porch, being served and eating a nice meal and drinking wine while overlooking the vineyards. The staff is quite nice and I leave feeling happy (what more could you want). If you have a chance, its worth a detour.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, Jaybee, you MUST go to Vintage NY!  You could even have gone today because as the retail outlet of a winery (I forget which one at the moment -- it's partly owned by Susan Wine) they are allowed to open on Sundays.  In any case, the staff there is extremely knowledgeable about the wines.  And you can taste EVERYTHING they have in stock.

We have been very pleased with Chardonnays from Paumanock (North Fork, LI); Knapp Sangiovese (Finger Lakes); and as Tommy mentioned, Dr. Konstantin Frank's Riesling -- that's one that we had with Jason and Rachel at Gage and Tollner, and found surprisingly good for the price.

They had a blurb about Vintages on Wine TV.

I did see the Hermann Weimer Reisling as one of the featured wines. Looked like a great little shop with a lot of NY food products as well.