• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gathering the best recipes of national dishes

soederman

I'm still struggling to see any point to this exercise. Reducing a cuisine to one dish is ridiculous and of no benefit to anyone.

Also, the partial list you give clearly illustrates the impossibility of sticking remotely close to your own set out criteria.

But we're having such fun! Look at our little faces, glowing with delight!

I'd have to add the Italian national dish, coffee (espresso), accompanied by an intense discussion of what defines [insert name of dish], and whether the addition/omission of any given ingredient effectively turns it into another dish. inevitably served on a base of campanilismo.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Well, exactly.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the OP has chosen for Scotland, my place of origin.

Probably haggis, (a thing of great beauty), which is mainly eaten by brave tourists eating it for a bet. (By the way, should you find yourself in Edinburgh and see a man in a kilt there is a 99% chance he will be Canadian.)

Or is it the deep fried Mars Bar? I've never encountered one in Scotland but I don't go there often

Actually the nearest Scotland has to a national dish is a breakfast speciality, enjoyed by generations for millennia. An Embassy Regal and a cup of Nescafé with three sugars.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Well, exactly.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the OP has chosen for Scotland, my place of origin.

Probably haggis, (a thing of great beauty), which is mainly eaten by brave tourists eating it for a bet. (By the way, should you find yourself in Edinburgh and see a man in a kilt there is a 99% chance he will be Canadian.)

Or is it the deep fried Mars Bar? I've never encountered one in Scotland but I don't go there often

Actually the nearest Scotland has to a national dish is a breakfast speciality, enjoyed by generations for millennia. An Embassy Regal and a cup of Nescafé with three sugars.

Wouldn't you want neeps and tatties with your haggis?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I am an American. I live in the US. I am old and have cooked most of my life. I don't think I have ever made macaroni and cheese. Not even modernist.

I am an American. I live in the US, have been cooking ever since I was old enough to flip a pancake (using Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix) and have made Macaroni and Cheese over the years, and finally got it the way I really like it. However, if I served it to a group of four people, one them would probably say "No, no, no. That's not how you make Macaroni and Cheese. This is the way I make it and everyone raves over it." One would start telling the first what wrong with his recipe ,another would say he hates macaroni cheese and can't even stand the sight of it and ,the fourth would probably say "Why go to all the trouble, when Kraft in the blue box beats all". :smile:

Edited to add that I really wouldn't think of Mac and Cheese as a national dish, much as I like it.

Edited by Arey (log)

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

On Canada.- Kraft Dinnner has to be a serious contender.. With hotdogs for the gourmand palate :)

And fancy Dijon ketchups?

If I had a million dollars maybe. ;)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow