• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veal Shoulder "Square Cut"

mm84321

I recently purchased a whole veal shoulder. It is a bone-in "square cut". In total, it weighs just over 37 pounds. Part of the neck is attached, as well as 4 rib bones. Does anyone have any experience butchering something like this? I have confidence that I can do a fairly clean job (have butchered whole lambs, suckling pigs), I would just like to know some of the various cuts that can be made. Looking to use some of the meat in a stew, and will obviously save bones for stock. Thanks in advance.

From the outside of the shoulder you should be able to separate the flatiron (paleron) and the mock tender (jumeau) on either side of the keel bone of the shoulder blade (scapula), though ideally the shoulder should have been cut behind the 5th rib (between 5 & 6). Both of those cuts are traditionally used for blanquette or Bourguignon. Underneath the scapula is the “underblade” which is very tender but needs to be cleaned of the sinew . Along the ribs and between the shoulder is what would be the Delmonico on a steer or coppa on a pig.

There may likely be all the meat between the shank and the shoulder and from there will be the bicep (ideal for pot au feu, plenty of collagen) and other muscles preferable for braising. The outside clod is suitable for tartar (very lean) whereas the heart of clod (tricep) will make a fine roast when carefully barded and diligently roasted.

Bovine Myology will help to identify the muscles.

http://bovine.unl.edu/eng/index.jsp

Bon courage.