• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Chinese Restaurants

eatingwitheddie

Some tell tale signs to look out for:

In the heart of Monterey Park, any restaurant that worths any salt (or MSG) would typically be packed around noon - 2:00 pm especially on a Sunday. Saturday is a little better. If the restaurant serves dim sum, there would be long lines.

If the restaurant has its own parking lot, see how full the parking lot is. But sometimes this is misleading because people park their car in one lot and go to the neighboring restaurants! :raz:

If the parking lot is full of Hondas (Civics and Accords especially) and Toyotas (Camrys especially), that's a good sign. :biggrin:

Call the restaurant ahead of time (if you have the phone number). If they answer the phone speaking Cantonese only, that's a good sign! :laugh::laugh:

Kiddings aside...

If you don't hold me responsible... (it's been a LONG time that I haven't visited some of these places in Monterey Park area)...

There is one Chinese vegetarian restaurant on the border of Monterey Park and Montebello. It is at the intersection of N. Garfield Ave and Via Campo (south side of Freeway 60). There is a Chinese shopping mall. The restaurant is at the North-East corner. But my last visit was 8 years ago, maybe. They did really well so I think it might still be around. No name to give you, sorry.

Need to order from a menu. Their mock meat entrees are very nice, both in presentation and taste.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 1 month later...
FYI Mon Kee's has been closed for remodeling since Dec. 2004.

I've only eaten there for lunch, not for dinner. I've read previous posts about Mon Kee's AND I've seen its high ratings in Zagat's. Go figure.  :huh: Based on my luncheon experience, the food is not bad, but the decor really needed an overhaul.

I'll try and find out when they're going to re-open.

Mon Kee's is still closed. I haven't seen any builders or construction workers around. I still don't know what's up. I'm still trying to find out. to be continued ...

I've been checking off & on for a few months about Mon Kee. Finally, I was able to peek through one of the windows. The dining area in totally gutted right now. I was talking with a co-worker and he mentioned that it can take several months to get the correct permits to do some renovations on the place.

FINALLY!

After a year and a half, the former Mon Kee location has opened. Mon Kee is no more. The restaurant's name is Mayflower Seafood Restaurant. The restaurant next door moved into the newly-renovated location. New location, same old menu, same old service ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

FYI Mon Kee's has been closed for remodeling since Dec. 2004.

I've only eaten there for lunch, not for dinner. I've read previous posts about Mon Kee's AND I've seen its high ratings in Zagat's. Go figure.  :huh: Based on my luncheon experience, the food is not bad, but the decor really needed an overhaul.

I'll try and find out when they're going to re-open.

Mon Kee's is still closed. I haven't seen any builders or construction workers around. I still don't know what's up. I'm still trying to find out. to be continued ...

I've been checking off & on for a few months about Mon Kee. Finally, I was able to peek through one of the windows. The dining area in totally gutted right now. I was talking with a co-worker and he mentioned that it can take several months to get the correct permits to do some renovations on the place.

FINALLY!

After a year and a half, the former Mon Kee location has opened. Mon Kee is no more. The restaurant's name is Mayflower Seafood Restaurant. The restaurant next door moved into the newly-renovated location. New location, same old menu, same old service ...

Should we add mayflower seafood restaurant to the list? what category is it?

• 6 months later...

Mark Bittman wrote an article in today's NY Times:

The East Is West: The Best Chinese Restaurants in Southern California*

In the last few decades, in typical Southern California fashion, the Chinese have claimed a freeway. It is the portion of I-10 known as the San Bernardino Freeway. This road runs through the San Gabriel Valley, straight east from downtown, all the way to Jacksonville, Fla. (to the west, it runs only 10 miles, to Santa Monica). And for its first 50 miles or so, from Los Angeles to San Bernardino, it is a modern-day Chinatown, a string of multiethnic communities that all have a large, dynamic Chinese population. There is strong evidence of this in the chains of Chinese supermarkets, the likes of which exist nowhere else in the country. (In these stores, announcements are made first in Mandarin, then in Korean, then Vietnamese; then Spanish, and last English. Really.)

*Link requires registration. Will require payment in a couple weeks.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I just read the NYTimes article. Interesting read. I can't agree on the 50 mile length along the San Bernadino Freeway (I-10) being the new China Town. It is more like 10 to 20 miles, scattered around different cities but very concentrated in the old retangular block (San Gabriel Blvd, Valley, Atlantic and Garfield). When I first visited the area in the late 70's, that's where all the actions were.

But I do agree with one statement in this article:

Perhaps I’m not lavishing enough praise on these places in general; when in Los Angeles, I tend to forget that the average Chinese food here is better than the best Chinese food in 90 percent of the rest of the country.

Incidentally I passed by Mission 261 the other night (Friday)... Not too many patrons (Friday night). Didn't see too many Asian patrons. (Remember what I said about the round-eye ratio...) I am not sure if I am motivated to try it. Especially in the highly competitive SGV.

• 1 month later...
[...]If anyone ever goes down to OC, try Seafood Cove.  Surprising to me is that it isn't really on the OC internet foodie radar despite the plain sight location across from a grocery store.  I went with 3 other foodies (1 Chinese, 2 Vietnamese). We were all in agreement. We loved it. So either we are all wrong or this is one of OC's well kept secrets.

Seafood Cove

8547 Westminster Ave,

Garden Grove 92644

714-895-7964.

Is this the one that has no window outside and has a 2 big front doors with semi-circles on the top (golden dots on red color door)? And a fish tank (aquarium tank) right at the front door?

If so, I agree that it has very good Chinese food (with some Vietnamese touch). I used to go there for lunches when I worked in that area.

It was Seafood Cove. I just went back to visit during my recent trip.

Seafood Cove Restaurant, Garden Grove, Chinese seafood w/ Vietnamese/Thai touch

[...]If anyone ever goes down to OC, try Seafood Cove.  Surprising to me is that it isn't really on the OC internet foodie radar despite the plain sight location across from a grocery store.  I went with 3 other foodies (1 Chinese, 2 Vietnamese). We were all in agreement. We loved it. So either we are all wrong or this is one of OC's well kept secrets.

Seafood Cove

8547 Westminster Ave,

Garden Grove 92644

714-895-7964.

Is this the one that has no window outside and has a 2 big front doors with semi-circles on the top (golden dots on red color door)? And a fish tank (aquarium tank) right at the front door?

If so, I agree that it has very good Chinese food (with some Vietnamese touch). I used to go there for lunches when I worked in that area.

It was Seafood Cove. I just went back to visit during my recent trip.

Seafood Cove Restaurant, Garden Grove, Chinese seafood w/ Vietnamese/Thai touch

I haven't been back there since my last post there. Its' still good I hope?