• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ratio of gelatin to liquid for gels and panna cotta?

jfresch

I found for a perfect set on my panna cotta (ie. set enough to stand on its own, but barely supporting itself) was 20g titanium strenght gelatine for every 2L cream. Gelatine brands vary by strength though I've found, so you're best experimenting with too little and re-melting and adding more if it's not to your liking.

James.

Panna cotta is something I’ve been contemplating, too.

Modernist Cuisine at Home uses 4.3 g of 225-bloom powdered gelatin (Knox brand) for 530 g of liquid (milk, cream and fruit purée). Modernist Cuisine at Home lists silver sheet gelatin at exactly 160 bloom and Modernist Pantry has two different types of sheet gelatin which are listed as 160 bloom. There is an equation to convert from the 225-bloom to a new amount for 160-bloom.

So, if you need 4.3 g of 225-bloom for 530 g of liquid, then you will need 6 g of 160-bloom sheet gelatin for the same amount of liquid. This is what I’m going to try.

For panna cotta, it depends upon your cream to a large extent. You can find cream in the Piemonte so thick that cooking and chilling almost sets it without gelatin. In such a case, gelatin is added in small quantities (invariably sheet fish gelatin rather than good ol' Knox) , so that, in a well-made version, you cannot detect the gelatin as the cream melts in your mouth. In the U.S., if using garden-variety supermarket cream that has been processed to death, much more gelatin is required.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com