• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction/Gaggenau CL 491

PeterLG

Our cooktop is not an induction one (their advantages do not seem to compensate for their disadvantages, compared to a conventional glass ceramic cooktop of equivalent quality), so I wasn't going to comment on this topic, but since no one else has responded, I would like to say that if Gagganau's quality is consistent across their products, I'd go for it, if I were you, you'll probably be very happy with it; we have the CE 490, and I love it.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I'll go the other way to Michaela - I can't comment on Gaggenau, but go induction all the way.

Our cooktop celebrated its second birthday just before Christmas and it hasn't missed a beat. It's got all the power and controllability I'd always expected but rarely got from gas and it's really easy to clean up any splashes. The only disavantage I can think of didn't apply to us, and may not apply to you - if your various pots and things already pass the fridge magnet test, you're ready to go without needing to replace anything (unless you want to, but that's a whole other topic).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I should have mentioned that where I am, a conventional glass ceramic cooktop is the standard, making that (not a gas cooktop, which is a bit of specialty/luxury item) the usual alternative to an induction cooktop.

This means that there is a lot of competition among the cooktop producers, so glass cooktops are available in every quality and at every pricepoint.

This also means that at a given pricepoint you can get a better glass ceramic cooktop than an induction one, since induction cooktops are still priced in keeping with the fact that they're using a newer technology.

I've cooked on a large number of both conventional glass ceramic and induction cooktops, and I haven't yet come across an induction cooktop that exceeds the power and control of glass ceramic cooktop we got (plenty do just as well, but they cost more). But that's here; it is probably quite different where you are, and it all boils down to the array of options you have at your disposal.

Whatever you choose, take a close look at their warranty; it matters, since any electrical appliance can conk out expensively (I think Gagganau's 5 year guarantee is international).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I've cooked on a large number of both conventional glass ceramic and induction cooktops, and I haven't yet come across an induction cooktop that exceeds the power and control of glass ceramic cooktop we got (plenty do just as well, but they cost more). But that's here; it is probably quite different where you are, and it all boils down to the array of options you have at your disposal.

Conventional glass and induction are standard here in Spain, I've had a couple of each at home, and I would say exactly the contrary: induction gains conventional on every single dimension: control, power, speed, safety, easy to clean.... maybe more expensive, and maybe you cannot use some of your old pans, but to me it is totally worthwhile. I would never go back to either gas (except for particular applications such as paellas or works) or conventional glass.

Conventional glass and induction are standard here in Spain, I've had a couple of each at home, and I would say exactly the contrary: induction gains conventional on every single dimension: control, power, speed, safety, easy to clean.... maybe more expensive, and maybe you cannot use some of your old pans, but to me it is totally worthwhile. I would never go back to either gas (except for particular applications such as paellas or works) or conventional glass.

Well, as I indicated, this is largely going to reflect individual experience (I'm not slamming induction, I just couldn't work up the enthusiam for it that sales reps seemed to want me to experience :wink: ).

For the units I used and tested, the difference in control in both sorts of cooktops seemed directly linked to the quality of the units involved, and the top-notch glass ceramic cooktops featured the same level of control as the induction models of equal quality (again: this holds for the ones I tested, and the array of units available in Denmark is very likely quite different to the one in Spain).

At this point in time, for a given amount of money – irrelevant if you have no budget cap – you'll get a better glass ceramic cooktop than an induction one.

Despite all the hoopla about power and speed, I did not notice any impressive difference between the Gaggenau glass ceramic cooktops and their induction cooktops (I didn't do the boiling water experiment, since it's a bit irrelevant for us; we use an electric kettle).

Safety, no argument there: Induction is the way to go if you have small children who play in your kitchen (we don't).

In terms of cleaning, the surfaces are identical (if we're talking about the same kind of glass ceramic cooktop); it's a snap. With many Gaggenau units of both kinds, even the control knob comes away, meaning you can get that surface really clean (no lingering muck under the edge of the knob!).

All the pans we have are stainless or cast iron, but I admit Ilike the idea of not having to worry about the conductivity of the material.

Also (not relevant to everyone), for one of the people using our kitchen, there are legitimate concerns about the safety of induction cooktops; they present undisputed issues for specific cohorts.

Hysterical pop-culture shrieking about induction cooktop safety is not something to which I'm inclined to give the slightest attention, but I do give some consideration to articles that have a firm scientific basis, such as 'Exposure of the Human Body to Professional and Domestic Induction Cooktops Compared to the Basic Restrictions'. Although that abstract doesn't mention it, my recollection of the recommended working distance when using an induction cooktop (from the edge of the coil, not the centre, I'm quite certain) is 30cm/12", and based on my own observation (I became curious, after reading this) most short and medium-height people (e.g. the people who use our cooktop) stand significantly closer than that.

Induction cookers offer a technology with a lot of potential; all I'm saying is that for some people, there are legitimate reasons to make other choices.

Aaand I've had my say: anything I might say beyond this would just be repetition.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Unless we are talking of different "convential glass cooktops", because conventional gets hot and stays hot for a while when turned off, the thermal inertia reduces control and cooking consistency, in my experience. I love the instantaneous reaction of induction heating, which behaves closer to gas in this aspect.

And the second consequence of the cooktop being really hot is that, unlike induction, any food that spills off gets burnt and then cleaning becomes a mess. That's why cleaning is very different, even if the surface material is identical.

Of course there are very legitimate reasons not to use induction. I just say that for me they only have advantages, except for specific applications where gas is still the best option. Conventional glasses (at least the ones I've used) range second or third best in my personal ranking in each and every dimension.

Well, 'for me' my Miele induction cooktop is terrific. The best thing next to gas, which I can't have in my small French village - or better, as it's so easy to control. And extremely easy to clean. I can't imagine ever having anything else. That said, I have recently bought a cheap single burner induction cooktop for the rental unit we stay in for 4 months in Cape Town. It works, but the quality is so much less than the Miele it's amazing. I guess I always thought that induction = induction for the most part. Not always so. But I would assume that Gaggenau is up there with Miele.

• 1 month later...

I've been cooking on induction for 20 years or so and I love it. Really, I just love it!

If I were going to buy a Gaggenau Induction cooktop I'd probably get a CX model. You'd be able to put a pan, or many pans, any where on that top that you'd like to. No rings or burners, so to speak. But no matter which model you choose, I don't think you can go wrong with Gaggenau.

That said, like carlux, I chose a Miele induction. Mine is the one with 5 burners and...I love it! After 4 years it still looks nearly brand new. So easy to care for. And responds like a dream! You might like to check out Miele induction tops too.

Hi, I'm looking for a new cooktop. On your Miele induction units can you put a pan on that is larger than the ring? I like the new Gaggenau CX and Thermador models that can take any shape pan. I think they're limited to 4 pans at once vs the 5 with the Miele. Do you have any problems with loud whistling noise at high temps? thanks