• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

jfresch

Proper ratio of roux to liquid for a medium bind

7 posts in this topic

Do you have a standard ratio you use for a bechamel?

Roux: 3 parts flour to 2 parts clarified butter.

Bechamel: 10 parts milk to 1 part roux.

~Martin

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it! 

1 pound of roux to one gallon of liquid is what I was always taught.

I use:

Thin bechamel: 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp flour, 1 cup milk

Medium bechamel: 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour, 1 cup milk (This is the consistency I use for lasagna or pastitsio)

Thick bechamel: 3 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp flour, 1 cup milk

Generally speaking, I agree with seabream, except a thick bechamel (e.g., for a souffle) is usually made (I think) with 4 tbsp each flour and butter.

Yes, I agree with pbear. I also make soufflé with 4 tbsp each of butter and flour and 1 cup milk.