• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gin and Rum together?

Yojimbo

A while back there was an excellent thread discussing cocktails with two base spirits. One of the lesser known pairings suggested was gin and jamaican rum. Odd, yes, but given the people who were vouching for it, I became curious.

My question is, has anyone actually made any cocktails with gin and rum, and particularly, what brand did you use -- something amber, like Appleton, or something dark and funky like Smith and Cross? What were the results? Inquiring palates want to know!

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Here is the thread on cocktails with two base spirits that you mentioned in your post. The Bacardi Special Cocktail from the Savoy that Erik mentions in that thread has rum and gin.

There are a few tiki drinks that combine gin and rum.

Some of the Scorpion variants include gin (they all contain rum). One I tried recently is Kelbo's Scorpion with dark Jamaican rum (I used Appleton 12), gin (I used Beefeater), brandy, plus orange juice, lime juice, passion fruit syrup and orgeat. Quite good.

7681113402_e47292f2a5_z.jpg

The Fogcutter has rum (usually gold or white), gin, brandy and sherry.

Moving on to punches, some versions of the powerful Chatham Artillery Punch include rum and gin amongst other things.