• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

16 hours ago, KennethT said:

Interesting - in my experience, jasmine and basmati rices need different quantities of water

In my experience, even different batches of the same brand of rice can require different amounts of water. The age of the rice  is also a factor.

16 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

a thousand years ago Alton Brown demo'd how to get nice rice reliably....

Literally many thousands of years ago, the Chinese worked out how to cook rice reliably without scales, ovens or faffing about like that. Today, almost everyone, at least in cities, uses a rice cooker which gives reliable results every time.

My current batch of Thai Hom Mali rice is perfect with a 1:1.5 ratio of rice:water, by weight. Not that I ever normally weigh it. I can eyeball it after decades of cooking rice almost every day - as can most of my friends and neighbours.

There is certainly not one magic ratio which applies to all rices.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

Interesting - in my experience, jasmine and basmati rices need different quantities of water

In my experience, even diferent batches of the same brand rice can require different amounts of water. The age of the rice  is also a factor.

4 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

Literally many thousands of years ago, the Chinese worked out how to cook rice reliably without scales, ovens or faffing about like that. Today, almost everyone, at least in cities, uses a rice cooker which gives reliable results every time.

My current batch of Thai Hom Mali rice is perfect with a 1:1.5 ratio of rice:water, by weight. Not that I  ever normally weigh it. I can eyeball it after decades of cooking rice almost every day - as can most of my friends and neighbours.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

In my experience, even diferent batches of the same brand rice can require different amounts of water. The age of the rice  is also a factor.

3 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

My current batch of Thai Hom Mali rice is perfect with a 1:1.5 ratio of rice:water, by weight. Not that I  ever normally weigh it. I can eyeball it after decades of cooking rice almost every day - as can most of my friends and neighbours.