• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candied fruit problem

ElainaA

This is the problem that moved me from 'guest' to participant. I need some advice.

This summer and fall, for the first time, I have been candying fruit using the method from Peter Greweling's Chocolates and Confections. The pears, cherries and orange slices were all successful. The plums - maybe not so much. I started with small red plums cut in half. When they got to about 65 brix I noticed that the center were still very opaque so I cut them in half again. I got the syrup to 75 brix and let them sit a few days while I was away. I checked them yesterday and they still have white, opaque center areas. So I brought everything to a boil and covered them up again.

Will some additional soaking time take care of this? My understanding is that they should be translucent throughout or there will be a risk of spoilage. Should I throw them out?

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated....

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Try soaking them at a lower brix solution, and then slowly bring it up to a higher brix. I have this problem occasionally with lemon peel--I am guilty of skimping on the syrup so the pieces stick together and the syrup can't penetrate.

Thanks Edward - I'm going to try this. I'm hoping to include them with other candied fruit in my holiday candy boxes.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina