• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian winter truffles

mm84321

How do they compare to Perigord - IMO they are just as good. Having said that, I have never tasted them side by side.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

w7tT3l.jpg

So, first impressions. The aroma hit me first. They were wrapped in paper towels, and vacuum sealed, so when I cut open the bag, I was flooded with that wonderful scent; very similar to the true Perigord, but these have a touch of smokiness (maybe that's not the right word). From appearance, they look almost identical. I'm no truffle expert, but it would be very hard for me to distinguish these from the French. The taste is good; earthy, of course, but slightly bitter. I am not sure if that has to do with it being so early in the season, or perhaps it is because I only tasted a slice from the outer skin.