• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum restaurant "Tang Lew" on Mott St?

markk

While dining at the spectacular Yee Li restauant in Chinatown, I asked the waiter (who we've known for a long time) to recommend a great Dim Sum restaurant.

He very highly recommended a restaurant on Mott St., which he called "Tang Lew" - or at least, it sounded like that. I asked him to write it down, which he tried to do in English, and wrote what seems to be "Tang Lew", though it could be "Tang Liew" or "Tang Lieu" or any variation like that. He said that it was a huge place, on Mott St. close to Canal St.

(We did drive down Mott St. starting at Canal, but it was raining and most places were closed with their signs off because of how late it was, so we struck out.)

Well, I've googled and googled and have come up with nothing.

Does anybody here know of this restaurant, what it's really called, where on Mott St. it is?

Many thanks for your help !!!!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I think you're going to need to head back and take a walk along Mott Street. Not a google maps streetview walk (which I just took), either, because there tend to be trucks parked along the street, blocking a good view of some of the store fronts, and also, a lot of places have the name written large in Chinese characters, with the English much smaller and less prominently placed.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Could he have possibly meant 大湯連 (The last two characters in Cantonese are pronounced something like 'tong lin'; in Mandarin ' tāng lián').

It was known as Mr Tang in English, but appears to have closed down after highly varied reviews and a number of health violations. It seems to have been mainly a Cantonese seafood restaurant, more than specifically dim sun, though.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks. But here's where the mystery deepens.

The fellow from Yee Li, when I asked him to recommend a dim sum place, walked me out to Bayard St. and pointed to Mott St. and said it was on Mott, close to Canal, and that he went there all the time for dim sum (!!) So, the mystery deepens.

But I appreciate all the help so far, and would be extremely happy if I could find the place.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's