• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best desserts to order?

kjts918

I live in New York (Long Island) and I am looking for some new desserts. I live in a studio apartment without a kitchen so cooking is not an option. I usually go to the local bakery for cookies, pies etc. I have my nephews christening coming up and I would like to bring something different for a change. All suggestions and recommendations welcome...

Dunkin Munchkins.

I'm not kidding. I don't eat them, but for gatherings like that everybody else will.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Trifle! All it takes is instant vanilla pudding mix, milk, canned or frozen fruit (get the best possible), whipped cream (or -cringe- Cool Whip, which I actually LIKE for this application, as it holds up better :blush: ) and a pound cake, or an angel food cake or an unfrosted yellow cake. A little sweet wine maybe, depending on the # of kids present, and the syrup or juice from the fruit. Tear the cake into hunks and use it to line a trifle dish (a deep glass bowl will look pretty, too, especially an embossed or cut glass one.)Dampen with the fruit juice/wine mix, pour fruit over the cake and 'frost' with cool whip. Refrigerate overnight, bring to cool room temp before serving. This 'recipe' is very flexable and it will accomidate almost any fruit. I'm partial to peaches and Mandarin oranges, personally, but Y.M.M.V! :wink: HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"