• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

10 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I can imagine that the plastic jobs they give you in restaurants would make for a challenge if you didn't have at least somewhat sticky rice.

It helps to develop the Chinese rice-eating technique of holding the rice bowl next to your lips and using the chopsticks to shovel the rice into your mouth. It works with both sticky and non-sticky rice. Picking up individual grains is not something they do.

The most prized rice found here is not Chinese, but Thai. I seldom buy Chinese rice despite Thai being a lot more expensive. Many years ago, I had to go back to England for a couple of months and Chinese friends who had mocked me for buying Thai rice were begging me to give them what I had remaining in my rice store - in case it "went bad" while I was away.

I also sometimes buy Cambodian Jasmine Rice - pretty indistinguishable from Thai and marginally cheaper. I've never seen basmati in stores here, although it is available online. India/China relationships have never been great.

liuzhou

liuzhou

10 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I can imagine that the plastic jobs they give you in restaurants would make for a challenge if you didn't have at least somewhat sticky rice.

It helps to develop the Chinese rice-eating technique of holding the rice bowl next to your lips and using the chopsticks to shovel the rice into your mouth. Picking up individual grains is not something they do.

The most prized rice found here is not Chinese, but Thai. I seldom buy Chinese rice despite Thai being a lot more expensive. Many years ago, I had to go back to England for a couple of months and Chinese friends who had mocked me for buying Thai rice were begging me to give them what I had remaining in my rice store - in case it "went bad" while I was away.

I also sometimes buy Cambodian Jasmine Rice - pretty indistinguishable from Thai and marginally cheaper. I've never seen basmati in stores here, although it is available online. India/China relationships have never been great.