• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Almaden Wine bottle labels: Have they been kept or cataloged?

rotuts

Im hoping this is the correct forum. I gather the Trusty Mods will move it if not. Thanks in advance.

In the day, middle to late '50's and early '60's I grew up in CA not far from Los Gatos and my parents with 100% and 50% EU influence had wine on the weekends.

They favored Almaden. I think it was cented in Los Gatos, not far from where I grew up.

After thinking at length on the recent 'fat' thread I thought about Ronny at the McD' and how that business influences children, their future clients. What can be wrong about a 'Happy Meal?' the colored box, the interesting paper place matt and that 'free toy'

i thought back to when i was their age. Ive had the personal privilege to interact with thousands of children. I thought of them at the McD.

then I recalled that the Almaden label on at least the back of their wine bottles had lots of grapes, and very fascinating to me, animals around the rim delighting in a glass of wine. Fish, pigs, chickens, cows, ?? turkeys etc dancing with joy holding a glass of wine in there fin or hoof. These were true students of Bacchus. I didnt of course realize this at the time. But they were all 'edible' I dont think Cats and Dogs did this. And maybe not snails

Id love to see these again now.

Maybe someone here remembers them. Maybe at UC Davis they kept them as American Wine Folk Art.

Such a long Shot. But if you encounter these in you Internet Travels Id love the link.

Cheers Happy Cooking!

Grenache Rose was favored: not quite red, not quite white, not quite sweet and not quite dry. I drank this for some time back then