• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ChefPip

ChefPip

Recently I cooked a stock pot of Anasazi Beans.   Somewhat a unique experience.

I've looked thru this thread to see if anyone else has  mentioned them but I didn't see them discussed.  They are from antiquity

and were found in a cave in Arizona that was inhabited by native Americans 2000 years ago.   Historians believe

they were brought up thru central America and distributed among native Americans across what is now the USA.

They store for long periods of time, germinate quickly when planted,  are drought tolerant,  and are thought to be sweeter than Pinto's.  These cook without soaking and claim to produce less gas for those who consume them.

In my reading I've learned that these red anasazi beans were credited with starting the "Heirloom Seed" movement a couple of

decades ago.   They have been grown for sometime since to where they can be purchased reasonably and are becoming more available now.  I was in Charleston, WV at the Farmers Market and found a vendor with a 4x4 box of them and purchased a pound for $3.50.   They are suggested for baked beans, casseroles, soups, and stews.  I understand those who participate in Chili Cook off's use these along with other varieties to achieve a more unique flavor. 

Amazon offers them here:

Anasazi Beans

To the OP's question,  Pinto's are more a typical dried bean since you are familiar with them.   I don't taste a Potato flavor in them. Perhaps a bit of Potato Texture.   Kidney Beans have a more solid to the bite mouth texture.  If you purchase dry Kidney beans you will want to soak them in the first batch of water and then drain  and rinse them before adding your fresh water to boil them in.  (not doing this can lead to gastro discomfort)   An old package of dry Kidney Beans may not cook well even after a long soaking.  But these beans should be a bit firm to the bite,  like spaghetti in the "al dente" level of cooking.

Where I live green pod beans such as white half runners are cooked quite tender.  These are often prepared  in a pressure cooker along with some Kennybec Potatoes and a rasher of bacon.  (or bacon grease or lard)  

As for the taste and texture,  the green pod beans such as white half runners,  Tennessee blue pod, and various other runner beans of the type are eaten pod and bean together.  They have a soft mouth texture with the bean being only slightly more firm to the bite.   Other pod beans such as the climbing Pole type are more firm to the bite and the flavor is different.  The bean is larger and similar to a pinto in size.  Varieties such as October or Cranberry would be in this category. 

Some of these bean varieties may seem tougher to chew but it is just their nature.  They may be softer in the interior.   It is easier to over cook them (such as Kidney beans) but it may not make that much difference in the end.    (just boil the Kidney beans for around 15 minutes before reducing heat for a slow cook)

ChefPip

ChefPip

Recently I cooked a stock pot of Anasazi Beans.   Somewhat a unique experience.

I've looked thru this thread to see if anyone else has  mentioned them but I didn't see them mentioned.  They are from antiquity

and were found in a cave in Arizona that was inhabited by native Americans 2000 years ago.   Historians believe

they were brought up thru central America and distributed among native Americans across what is now the USA.

They store for long periods of time, germinate quickly when planted,  are drought tolerant,  and are thought to be sweeter than Pinto's.  These cook without soaking and claim to produce less gas for those who consume them.

In my reading I've learned that these red anasazi beans were credited with starting the "Heirloom Seed" movement a couple of

decades ago.   They have been grown for sometime now to where they can be purchased reasonably and are becoming more available now.  I was in Charleston, WV at the Farmers Market and found a vendor with a 4x4 box of them and purchased a pound for $3.50.   They are suggested for baked beans, casseroles, soups, and stews.  I understand those who participate in Chili Cook off's use these along with other varieties to achieve a more unique flavor. 

Amazon offers them here:

Anasazi Beans

To the OP's question,  Pinto's are more a typical dried bean since you are familiar with them.   I don't taste a Potato flavor in them. Perhaps a bit of Potato Texture.   Kidney Beans have a more solid to the bite mouth texture.  If you purchase dry Kidney beans you will want to soak them in the first batch of water and then drain  and rinse them before adding your fresh water to boil them in.  (not doing this can lead to gastro discomfort)   An old package of dry Kidney Beans may not cook well even after a long soaking.  But these beans should be a bit firm to the bite,  like spaghetti in the "al dente" level of cooking.

Where I live green pod beans such as white half runners are cooked quite tender.  These are often prepared  in a pressure cooker along with some Kennybec Potatoes and a rasher of bacon.  (or bacon grease or lard)  

As for the taste and texture,  the green pod beans such as white half runners,  Tennessee blue pod, and various other runner beans of the type are eaten pod and bean together.  They have a soft mouth texture with the bean being only slightly more firm to the bite.   Other pod beans such as the climbing Pole type are more firm to the bite and the flavor is different.  The bean is larger and similar to a pinto in size.  Varieties such as October or Cranberry would be in this category. 

Some of these bean varieties may seem tougher to chew but it is just their nature.  They may be softer in the interior.   It is easier to over cook them (such as Kidney beans) but it may not make that much difference in the end.    (just boil the Kidney beans for around 15 minutes before reducing heat for a slow cook)