• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional kitchen knives of India

Dakki

Everyone (or so I assume) is familiar with the various Euro and Chinese kitchen knives, and India has produced an amazingly inventive array of steel weapons throughout history, and notoriously had easily the best steels available right up to the Industrial Revolution, but I've never heard of an Indian kitchen knife as such.

So what was used?

Are these still largely used or have they been replaced with Euro-type knives? Or Chinese?

Are there knives associated with certain regions or cuisines?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I've seen a lot of videos of Indian mothers and aunties cooking, and a lot seem to use the small knife/hold everything against the thumb approach...

^^

Yes, small crappy knives are common in many kitchens. People seem to manage with what they have. Paring knives are commonly used for many tasks. Non vegetarian kitchens may in addition have a cleaver, and these are also great for cracking coconuts in two as well, or for chopping pieces off large pumpkins and yams, etc. Bigger shops now have a wider range of fancy Western knives of many sizes but certainly where I am a lot of people still just buy cheap small knives from the market.

Hopefully someone who grew up with some of the traditional kitchen tools will be able to add more, but I know that there are some special knives in India where the blade is fixed to a sort of block or even some kind of stool and the person using it moves whatever is being cut against the blade. In Bengal this is called boti/bonti, some very minimal information is here. I believe a very similar tool is used elsewhere in India too but somehow I cannot find in my notes (was discussing kitchen tools with someone the other day) what the Hindi name for it is. These kinds of utensils require some skill and practice to use but it's very cool to see someone with experience cut stuff up! I think they are dying out as more people move to ordinary knives.

Edited by Jenni (log)