• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staub or Le Creuset

highchef

Is there a difference in heat conduction with the two finishes? I have several pieces of Le Creuset, and I love it, but I have become enamored with a little Staub saucepan. I 've had chipping problems with the LeCruset before, and don't want to commit to another piece of kitchen candy if it's going to have the same problem. I need a good sauce pan, and it needs to be a workhorse. I've considered along the all clad etc. Lines, and may well go there, but I am so spoiled by the heat retention properties of the cast-iron/enamel. Does anyone know of any big differences between the brands that may be a tipping point? Does anyone have a sauce pan that they adore? Help, please!

Yes, that is very true. Any one in particular that you like? Any thing with a handle, and heavy enough that it's not necessary to babysit it constantly in case of scorching. Not larger than 2qt, as weight becomes a factor, pouring with one hand.

I have some small enamel/cast iron sauce pans that I use for stuff that needs to be heated slowly over low heat.

For most cooking on the stovetop I use my All Clad sauce pans or the stainless-lined copper or for some things Calphalon but I don't like the dark finish for some things where color is important.

If something is heat critical, I can pull these latter units off the heat and they cook quickly.

The All Clad and Calphalon handles stay cool - the copper with cast iron handles also stay cool, those with brass handles do not.

all handles get hot if you put the pan in the oven...

Cheaper brands do not have the stay-cool handles.

Enamel cast iron handles get very hot and you need something that won't let them slip. I have a bunch of the handle "sleeves" for all my cast iron cookware, enameled or not.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For a saute pan I do really like the All-Clad and in particular the LTD2 series. If you want the shiny outside finish then they aren't the answer as they are anodised but the fry pan is great and over the last 6 months there have been some really great deals on the LTD2 line in particular (Sur la table and internet deals).

By copper, are we talking the core, or ?

Heavy copper (Mauviel Prof. and Matfer-Bourgeat, 2.5 mm copper)lined with stainless steel.

The old tin-lined stuff I have is mostly all stamped "France" but I have some U.S. made pieces manufactured in the 1920s, '40s and '50s.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 years later...

I am bumping up this topic because I am getting ready to put my HUGE STAUB 12.5 quart "Cocotte"  oval French oven on ebay and though I would first give a heads up to folks here who might want an enormously heavy, extra large vessel that is ideal for braising large hunks of meat and can also be used over two burners on a stove.  

I have difficulty lifting it empty - and if filled, it is impossible.  I even have trouble lifting it with the lid in place.  It weighs 27 pounds 7 ounces.

In the past it has been used to roast a saddle of wild boar, a crown roast of pork, a full prime rib and a saddle of venison (when I was still prepping game for hunters whose wives were not interested in knowing how to prepare game for roasting.

It has also held big batches of chicken and dumplings for a crowd and a turkey that dressed out at 31 pounds.  

I had help with lifting it with all these big and heavy items.

Also, I no longer have an oven into which it will fit.  

I know this big oval French oven is no longer sold in the U.S. but is still available in Europe and possibly in Canada - a friend bought one in Quebec City a couple of years ago.  

The ones half this size, 7 quart, sell (discounted) for $344.95 - Regular price  $493.00.   If anyone is interested, please PM me.  I won't be listing it for a few days.  

• Enameled, inside and out
  • Smooth ceramic bottom usable on all heat sources
  • Highly indestructible, doesn't discolor or rust
  • A Who's Who of the world's top chefs use Staub products
  • Limited lifetime warranty from Staub US against defects

56ecaf28c331a_STAUBovaloven5.JPG.ca8455a

56ecaf2f90f03_STAUBovaloven6.JPG.2bd2e02

56ecaf22070da_STAUBovaloven4.JPG.54cf385

56ecaf1aabef0_STAUBovaloven3.JPG.a65557f

56ecaf137b36e_STAUBovaloven2.JPG.e7a7eed

56ecaf0b0a6dd_STAUBovaloven1.JPG.0dbadfa

56ecaf0299e8f_STAUBovaloven.JPG.cc00c817

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2