• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jeweler's Loupes > 30x for Evaluating?

rotuts

I have a combination 20x & 40x illuminated loupe that I use for gem work.

You can also get small, "pocket microscopes" that are also illuminated, and not very expensive.

I have one of these that I have used to examine inclusions in amber.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I got that puppy you mentioned above also

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E0MU70

there are two very small LEDs on it and it goes to 45 x.

it works like a charm and is very small

they fail ( probably ... I just rip the stuff open and use it ) to mention that the LED are very very powerfull and if you shine them in you eye, ie you flick the switch \thats on the underside with the LED pointing up right in your eye you will damage your retina. NO JOKE

it works well but you have to put the item down on a hard surface and get your eye-ball right down there. its a inch or so tall works well though IF You Are Very Carefull of the LED

DO NOT let childern near it!

a 40 or 50 large ie 21 mm or greater loop would be Loved in My Kitchen.

other uses: your Caviar would really look BIG

:laugh:

I love all three items !!

You are absolutely right about the Tomato being the cutting standard.

but ....

there is sharper and a Tomato needs. my Globals always passed the Tomato Test. thats what I used them for.

this is just a level above that ... that may or may not be needed

the Global i sharped to 1000 grit sings though the tomato. I can actually hear ( probably feel with my hand) the difference

over kill? not really I can hear a difference.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I like to use a ripe tomato, myself, for this purpose.

And if you need to get really sharp, the standard is hair splitting.

Loupes are good for identifying wire edges, burrs, etc.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

well

my tomato's shudder when they see my EgePro knives

:laugh::blink:

they split before the edge carresssses them

:huh:

this system is the best Ive seen and I have

BTW I dont try to eat too many hairs split or otherwise !!

:raz:

in all good fun

:laugh:

Loupes can be useful. I don't have a very powerful one ... the 4X Schneider loupe I use for photography actually gives a good look at what's going on. It lets me know how close my sharpening has come to the edge (when thinning) and it shows if there's any residual burr or wire edge (I suppose a higher magnification loupe would be even better for this).

You don't need a loupe, but since I'm at best a journeyman knife sharpener, every bit of input helps.

Of course, the ideal test is to cut whatever food you're most concerned with cutting well. But this is not practical most of the time when you're sharpening.

I find tomatoes to be a pretty poor test. Any halfway sharp knife slips right through a tomato. And a toothy edge (like one sharpened only to 1000 grit or so) can sometimes cut the skin of a ripe tomato more easily than a sharper, more polished edge.

I don't know what the best generic test is, but I've had pretty good luck using firm apples (like Granny smiths ... can you easily make slices that you can read the phone book through?) and the phone book pages themselves. A sharp knife will push-cut phone book paper with virtually no pressure and make virtually no noise while doing so.

Notes from the underbelly

I do the "paper test" exclusively to find unsharpened bits along the edge. Paper will catch and tear instead of cutting.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Don't underestimate that lowly WEB Cam. With a little focusing, it can do amazing close ups and enlargements.

dcarch

1Picture016.jpg

Close up enlargement of a surgical blade

1Picture021-1.jpg

1Picture006.jpg

1Picture014.jpg

1Picture010.jpg

Salt

[1Picture032.jpg

Seasme seeds

Picture027.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)