• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are fancy dishwashing gloves better than cheap ones?

larrylee

I admit this is kind of a mundane topic, but I've had one soggy finger too many this week and I have to ask.

We've been using cheap thin yellow dishwashing gloves in our home for a while. They get the job done, but you know they eventually get stabbed by a fork (or worse) and soon you have a finger full of slimy dishwater.

I used to keep several pairs of gloves for those emergency punctures, but I've run out and I'm re-evaluating my options. If you stroll around say, Whole Foods or Broadway Panhandler, you find very pricey options like Casabella gloves or True Blues.

Casabella

True Blues

These things are $10-ish, which seem outrageously expensive to someone used to buying cheap $1-ish gloves.

I've read most of the Amazon reviews, but wanted to get thoughts from the audience here. How long can one expect these to last under basic kitchen use? How durable are they against light jabs from forks and knives? Are there any other options?

I bought a pair of sturdier dishwashing gloves at Broadway Panhandler a while back (they are blue , but not the ones you linked to) and have been pretty happy with them. Part of the reason I wear dishwashing gloves, besides not wanting my hands to dry out, is because I like to be able to wash dishes with hot water. These are definitely better for doing that, because they're thicker. I don't remember if I have ever had an issue with the cheap yellow ones getting holes, but I did replace them somewhat regularly so there was obviously some issue after a while. I have had these ones for months, maybe even a year, and the only reason I have to replace them is because they don't insulate as well as they used to.

I'd go for it, honestly, but I figure $10 isn't that expensive lesson if they don't work out. Just try and see if a particular pair feels stronger and thicker.

Edit: I was wrong. I double-checked, and I have the blue ones you linked to, as edited above.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I've used the True Blues before. On the plus side, they are very durable and very heat proof -- when I used to have to do all my dishes by hand, I liked the fact that I could use really hot water with them. On the minus side, they were so heavy that my hands used to sweat a lot, which was uncomfortable. Also, because they're so heavy, it's impossible to turn them inside out to dry if they do get wet, so they always stay kind of damp inside. Finally, after a while, they tended to get very rigid when they dried. When wet, they'd get a bit more flexible, but never regained the original flexibility.

Thanks for the feedback... touches on some other thoughts I had about flexibility, durability, etc. I can understand the sweaty hands thing (especially if you're washing in a lot of hot water). Apparently these things are machine-washable, which catches my interest. Then I saw a comment about the fingers falling off of a Casabella glove which, while different from the True Blues, just made me pause.

It's true that $10 isn't a lot if they're durable. I had visions of buying $10 gloves at the same frequency of the yellow gloves, which would then become sort of an expensive proposition.

Is there not a $3 alternative? That's what I use (Master brand), and they hold up remarkably well - I only blow fingers when doing things like heavy scrubbing of a gunked-up ceramic casserole with 4 weeks of use in the gloves. I'd balk at spending $10 for anything "disposable".

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 1 month later...