• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffed and rolled meat questions

fishy

Cookbooks usually instruct you to refrigerate stuffed/rolled meats (eg. lamb saddle w/ prunes) overnight. Why should this be done? can i skip this step?

Im guessing it has something to do with keeping its shape?

To ensure it's chilled thoroughly is my guess. I have not had any trouble with 2 hrs fridge time for conventional stuffings, so long as it's tied. I am not sure with Transglutaminase, as I mentioned in the other thread. Maybe some other members can shed some light on that subject?

Edited by Broken English (log)

James.

To ensure it's chilled thoroughly is my guess.

I assumed Fishy meant pre-cooking, in which case why would it matter if you chill it thoroughly? If you're deciding between stuffing, chilling overnight, then baking vs just stuffing and baking right away, the latter seems like it would always be better from a food safety perspective.

I've always just assumed it was to help hold the shape, but I'm also curious to hear if there are other reasons.

I have yet another question about the rolled saddle or any rolled meat for that matter.

How do I get both ends (the ones that overlap) to stick together after cooking. Is there a technique to getting it more secure?

sometimes one of the ends curls over while cooking. what can I do about this?