• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[CHI] The Bongo Room

I've seen a number of recommendations for The Bongo Room for breakfast when in Downtown Chicago, so I had breakfast there two days ago, and then again yesterday (I returned purely for scientific evaluation purposes, I assure you). Most people seem to recommend their pancakes, so I tried two varieties, the orange ricotta and the red velvet. Both had excellent flavor, though I found the texture of the exterior on the orange ricotta to be a bit tough. They were both quite sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. I also tried a couple omelets, which are of the "sheet of egg wrapped around massive quantities of filling" variety. The first day was a chorizo and avocado stuffing and the second an artichoke and olive stuffing: both stuffings were very good. Hold the egg. The price was very good considering: I think the two-pancake order was around $6 or $7, and that's a lot of food.

What else do you folks like here?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The menu tends to change a couple times a year, but there's usually some sort of seasonal brunch burrito preparation that hits the spot. My wife really likes the croissant sandwich. We were regulars when we lived downtown, but don't get there more than once or twice a year at this point. They will always have a special place in my heart for their key lime cheesecake flapjacks (summer menu of '05, I think)...best pancakes I've ever had. Returned weekly for the entire summer.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

The one time I went, I had a bad experience with an undercooked and oversauced pretzel pancake, so be careful there. Maybe get the sauce on the side--it was overwhelmingly sweet. I usually don't ask for modifications since I want to experience dishes the way the kitchen intended them, but it was unfinishable. :blink:

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Well, pancakes are the thing to get at Bongo Room. I've tried other items (omelets, sandwiches, salads) which are generally competent but not amazing like the pancakes.

A standard order consists of three GIGANTIC pancakes. You can also get one-third and two-thirds portion sizes at reduced prices, which lets you try more than one pancake item without over-ordering. I usually get at least two one-third orders of pancakes.

The best pancakes I've had there are blueberry pancakes with almond panna cotta sauce (I haven't seen these on the menu in a while) and pretzel pancakes with white chocolate caramel sauce.

Yes, the sauce is sweet, and generous in quantity, and essentially replaces any need for maple syrup, etc. If you don't like dishes that are sweet, get it on the side.

HTH

Edited by nsxtasy (log)