• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

stereotypes about chefs and cooks

What is the current zeitgeist of chef and cook stereotypes? A lot of things have changed from the times of curly mustaches, accents, stovepipe toques and drinking problems. Which of the current stereotypes actually hold some truth?

Since chefs are people, they're bound to vary as much as any other group; the noisiest ones may convince the media and the public that whatever they do is characteristic, but somehow, I doubt any of the cliches can be trusted as being even remotely universal.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I'm also with Mjx on this, I've known a lot of them, in fact I'm wondering what _john had in mind in the comments about stereotypes.

A few are even synthetic marketing icons. "Boyardee" is a stylized artificial character. The original, Boyardi, ran a successful restaurant (ca. 1900? I don't remember offhand) and sold kits with uncooked spaghetti and prepared sauce. (From my recollection of Mariani's classic American Heritage essay "Everybody Loves Italian Food.") Nothing to do with canned pre-cooked pasta. The kits established his name, later converted to something artificial that could be milked -- what MBAs like to call a "brand."