• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris: left bank

chris-s

Taking wife & friends to Paris for her 60th.

Need a good French restaurant/brasserie/bistro (good of its kind) for a Saturday night meal.

Staying on left bank, so looking for something not too far from that area.

Not fine dining: actual birthday meal is at Le Gavroche in London.

What can you recommend?

My personal favorite is D'Chez Eux in the 7th at 2 avenue Lowndal near Les Invalides and a short walk to the Eiffel Tower. It is country French. Some believe it to be too full of tourists, but I find the hospitality, food and atmosphere drawing me back each time I visit. Call me a softy for tradition and traditional food.

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Bertrand Bley's Les Papilles. Strictly speaking, a wine shop, wine bar, epicerie. But Bretrand's warm welcome and the kitchen's superb food make it a "must go" for us every visit to Paris.

No choice menu consists of a garnished soup with the tureen left on your table, followed by a casserole of an exquisite protein that can be anything from pork breast to rack of lamb or duck breast, all served in a fine sauce with appropriate vegetables. Then a small plated cheese course and most often some special take of panna cotta. All this for 31€, last visit. Wine is off the shelf price + 8€ corkage.

We'll be there in a week! Cheers!

http://www.lespapillesparis.fr/EN_presentation_bistroy.html

eGullet member #80.