• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can these cornichons be saved?

annachan

I love cornichons and picked up a jar at the supermarket the other week. I did not pay attention to the ingredients because I have never done so before. I opened it the other day and noticed these cornichons don't taste the same as the once I'm used to. They taste quite sweet. I looked at the label and noticed the 2nd ingredient is sugar.

I don't like my pickles sweet but I would hate to waste an entire jar. So, is there a way to fix this? I was wondering if I can drain the jar of the liquid and than fill it back up with vinegar. My concern is that I may somehow contaminate it and cause them to spoil. I don't want to get sick from it.

Any advice on what to do here? Can I safely replace the liquid or should I just toss it?

Ugh sweet pickles. Replacing the liquid won't harm them AFAIK but it might give them too much of a vinegar flavor without actually removing much of the sugar.

I'd give them to someone who can stand the stuff.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Sounds like you have "sweet gherkins." Were they actually labeled as cornichons?

You might also try salting them and draining them.

Yes, they were labeled as cornichons! That's why I didn't read the ingredient list. I will from now on since I really don't like this type of pickles sweet.

I don't think you'd do any harm in replacing the liquid, but, I also don't think that they'll improve much, either. I'd make something with them, like egg salad, rather than toss them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that the other day but only used up a few. I'll have to make quite a lot of egg salad to use up the jar. Good thing this stuff is suppose to last for a long time....

Ugh sweet pickles. Replacing the liquid won't harm them AFAIK but it might give them too much of a vinegar flavor without actually removing much of the sugar.

I'd give them to someone who can stand the stuff.

Seems like I really shouldn't waste my vinegar. I totally would give them away if I know someone who likes that stuff....