• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chang/ Momofuku coming to TO

rgruby

I wonder if a TO outlet will be able to get away with some of the same service crap the NY outlets pull. I don't think the ever-so-polite-and-considerate ( :rolleyes: ) Canadian population will put up with some of that stuff (well, maybe in TO. . . :laugh: )

As an example, the most recent story I read on "another forum" ( :rolleyes: ) was from a woman whose table was served oysters they didn't order. The oysters were sent back to the kitchen (with an "I'm sorry, we didn't order these"), and then the table was presented their check without receiving any of the food they had ordered. Apparently if you reject unordered food (given not as a comp, by the way, just as a mistake), you are considered unworthy to dine at the restaurant at all. Can't remember if it was at Ssam or one of the other places.

Still, I'll probably check it out after it opens (and the next time I'm in TO). Any projected opening date announced?

was at a hospitality seminar a few years ago with Paul Grieco, formally of TO and now well respected restauranteur in NYC, who said that it was his perogative to "fire" guests in NY but did not think that was something that was able in TO primarily because we as Canadians are too polite and more so New Yorkers "get off" on being harrased!

Will look forward to some new asian flavours in Toronto, but are there not a whole slew of noodle houses already?

I wonder if a TO outlet will be able to get away with some of the same service crap the NY outlets pull. I don't think the ever-so-polite-and-considerate ( :rolleyes: ) Canadian population will put up with some of that stuff (well, maybe in TO. . . :laugh: )

As an example, the most recent story I read on "another forum" ( :rolleyes: ) was from a woman whose table was served oysters they didn't order. The oysters were sent back to the kitchen (with an "I'm sorry, we didn't order these"), and then the table was presented their check without receiving any of the food they had ordered. Apparently if you reject unordered food (given not as a comp, by the way, just as a mistake), you are considered unworthy to dine at the restaurant at all. Can't remember if it was at Ssam or one of the other places.

Still, I'll probably check it out after it opens (and the next time I'm in TO). Any projected opening date announced?

If this is true, I'm much, much, less excited.

The Star article mentioned that he was opening two restos in one of the new swanky hotels in 2012.

Cheers,

Geoff