• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey London broil

Fat Guy

We have some friends we visit occasionally and they regularly serve something their butcher calls "turkey London broil." It's a large maybe 1.5" cut of turkey breast with seaonings on the outside.

I've actually come to like this item. Has anybody else seen it around or is it unique to these folks?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It's a standard part of our eating, and it's called London Broil by the purveyors at the Reading Terminal Market. I Particularly like to grill it with a dry rub of coriander and cumin. But it's amenable to a wide range of flavors, just like chicken cutlets.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

So let's say I have a whole turkey breast. How do I proceed to fabricate a turkey London broil? Does anybody know?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Definitely. It has a much more even thickness throughout, like first-cut brisket.

I just did some googling and a lot of sources say it's just a boneless half of a turkey breast. I have a hard time seeing how that's possible, given the even thickness I experienced carving this thing last night. Hmm.