• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi in Victoria, BC?

bean

• 2 years later...
if anyone has any recommendations for a decent sushi joint i'd love the name.  thanks! :blink:

Sadly, the choices are slim in Victoria. The best sushi is found in private homes.

As an aside, one of the lacklustre restaurant reviewers for the Victoria News [i say lacklustre, because she once remarked - "The lettuce was crisp, and the butter soft."] goes by the name of Sue Shee.

Ebizo gets the most popular raves. I personally find their pieces too precious (small). My favorite haunt - Sen Zushi - has changed ownership. I don't recommend a sushi visit.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Ebizo.

Their dynamite roll with prawn tempura is one of my favourites there. Summertime, they usually have natto and fresh shiso leaf on hand for another one of my other all time fav maki rolls.

Too bad about the giant tv set showcasing sports. I find that so irrating.

Two other popular places for sushi in Victoria are the Marina Restaurant and a small restaurant at 1619 Store St., near Chinatown, called Kaz, good consistent and fresh. He does a bustling lunch trade.

Ebizo.

Their dynamite roll with prawn tempura is one of my favourites there. Summertime, they usually have natto and fresh shiso leaf on hand for another one of my other all time fav maki rolls. 

Too bad about the giant tv set showcasing sports. I find that so irrating.

Two other popular places for sushi in Victoria are the Marina Restaurant and a small restaurant at 1619 Store St., near Chinatown, called Kaz, good consistent and fresh. He does a bustling lunch trade.

Do you mean the Oak Bay Marina Restaurant? I'm just curious because I have had Sushi there and found it enjoyable, and plus, my uncle is the manager.

Had lunch at Daidoco today. I got there at 10:45, the calm before the storm. The shelves are filled with all sorts of colourful and inticing treats. Lots of bright green salads using Umi Nami farms produce.

I had a brilliant salad of ika (squid) and shrimp over rice noodles and lettuce.

Shredded lettuce is laid down first, next comes the rice noodles, cooked in a light shrimp broth. The squid and shrimp were carefully tossed in sesame oil and lay on top. The whole thing was playfully delicate, the incredibly fresh seafood lending slight sweet notes and the lettuce just an added crunchiness to the whole mixture.

I also had a wonderful miso soup with a few tofu pieces and seaweed and an added bonus of natto - special order.

Yesterday I stopped in for a quick restorative of his house soup - broth made from fish bones, with a few healthy pieces left in to forage for extra flavour.

I can't escape without an order of onigiri roasted. Two large size onigiri rice balls - really they're triangular shaped - and painted with soy sauce. They are then roasted on either side in the salamander. Crispy on the outside - like a rice crispy, but better - warm rice on the inside. God, I could eat this for breakfast every morning!

Next up, the tuna tataki, today topped with green onions and side of Nao-san's famous soy-based dipping sauce. Fresh and exquisite.

Price including the soup I had yesterday - $8.50

Daidoco is quickly becoming a chef and industry lunch hangout, not only for the affordable prices but because of the flavour treats Nao-san brings to the table. His flavour balancing act is nothing short of brilliant and I can hardly wait for the height of summer produce to see what he'll conjure up next.

Has anyone tried that relatively new Shiki Sushi place on Fort? I heard from some Japanese friends that it was the absolute worst sushi they had ever eaten, and they would never recommend it to anyone. I was wondering if they were just saying that because they are Japanese and they have high expectations, or because it was near their opening night and they hadn't gotten into the groove yet, or the food really is bad.

Edited by Hugh (log)

I have also heard from my Japanese friends that is not very good. Maybe we have the same friends?

Regardless, I looked over their menu and it was a little too, you know, mediocre. Not enough to intrigue me to go in and try it.

By the way, I'm sorry to go off sushi, but has anyone been to the Yaki Niku place on Fort that finally opened up? There was much to do with the owners waiting for the special charcoal from Japan - I thought it miraculous that they held on so long.

It's located right beside Island Blue. I love the simplicity of their decor - black with red exhaust fans over each table.

They have tongue on the menu.

Who ever goes first, please post.

Shelora