• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken-flavored liquid comparison

CDRFloppingham

Hi,

Over the cold weekend we had in DC, I cooked some "by-the-book" chicken stock with carrot, onion, celery, backs, necks, and wings. I have a very nice, completely unsalted broth in the freezer.

I would like to compare it (single-blind...two tasters) to some canned broth and, believe it or not, Penzey's chicken base.

What recipe should I use?

Chicken soup?

Why not just warm them up and taste them as is? Though be sure to let us know the results... A long time ago I used Minor's chicken base, which at one time was highly reviewed by cooks illustrated. I haven't in several years now (just fell out of the habit), and I've been wondering recently whether it would be a better standby than the Swansons low sodium broth I usually use...

Edited by Emily_R (log)

Why not just warm them up and taste them as is?

I suspect that wouldn't be a fair comparison, since the "by the book" stock is likely unseasoned, or at least far more lightly seasoned than the commercial broths.

As for the OP, I would pick something you normally make with chicken stock. If it were me, I'd roast a few chickens and make a pan sauce, though oven space might become a problem! Though chicken soup is not a bad idea by far.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara