• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rice krispies

Kim WB

Good morning all...I had an Indian Buffet lunch at Masala Grill, in Princeton NJ. I was quite proud of myself, because for the first time, I easily identified the dishes, and knew what to expect, etc. After a year of concerted effort, I think the "basics" of Indian Cuisine have finally sunk in..and of course, now I'm in for a lifetime of learning about this complex cuisine!

One dish that was made for me (yeah! I go there often enough now and ask enough questions, they treated me special!) yesterday , and which I could not quite understand the name of, was as follows:

A cold, yellow crispy rice..puffy, like rice crispies. With herbs and finely chopped tomatoes and onion mixed in, and a distinct licorice flavor. I'd like to know what that is, so I can look it up in some of the books I have...I retain it better if I can read about it.

Also, I had a relish with okra, that was VERY bitter..what spice is this?

Seems like what you ate was Bhel Puri. Or maybe even Jhal Muri. But the odds of getting a Jhal Muri are very slight. In fact almost impossible.

Bhel Puri is Bombay street food. It is made with rice crispies, yellow colored chickpea flour noodles called Sev. Tomatoes or potatoes, onions and cilantro and green chilies and also tamarind chutney and mint chutney are mixed into the rice crispies.

It is a favorite of mine. And becomes a favorite of many that I introduce this dish to.

My friend Ed Schoenfelds son Eric has once buzzed me and come over for eating some Bhel. It is easy to make a perfect thing to toss up when you have unexpected visitors.

You can buy Bhel Mix at most all Indian grocery stores. Also you can buy bottled chutneys. Remember to buy some Thin Sev (chickpea flour noodles) and garnish the bowl of Bhel with it. They give a nice delicate crunch to this great dish.

We have several threads on the India board dealing with street food (chaat). I am sure you will find much relevant information in those.

Or maybe even Jhal Muri. But the odds of getting a Jhal Muri are very slight. In fact almost impossible.

Suvir, I did a quick search on the back threads for Jhal Muri, but all I saw was that it's a Bangladeshi street food that sounds vaguely similar to Bhel Puri. Are there any recipes for it around? How does it differ from Bhel Puri? Would I be able to get it at Dimple?

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Or maybe even Jhal Muri. But the odds of getting a Jhal Muri are very slight. In fact almost impossible.

Suvir, I did a quick search on the back threads for Jhal Muri, but all I saw was that it's a Bangladeshi street food that sounds vaguely similar to Bhel Puri. Are there any recipes for it around? How does it differ from Bhel Puri? Would I be able to get it at Dimple?

No you cannot get it at Dimple or any restaurant that I know of.

Do you work in NYC? If you would like to come with me for a Jhal Muri tasting and lesson it its making.. maybe tomorrow, you can meet me at Diwan.. The staff will be eating their last Iftar (meal of Ramadan) and I will ask them today to make some extra... or at least give you a lesson and small taste.

Let me know via PM..and I can arrange that.

....  How does it differ from Bhel Puri?  Would I be able to get it at Dimple?

Jhal Muri - It is indeed different from Bhel Puri - It has no fried "sev" to begin with - Jhal Moori, has few basic ingredients - puffed rice,mustard oil,chopped onions,diced unripe green mangos, salt, red peppers and spice-mix which has black-rock-salt as one of the ingredients - more like chaat-masala but not quite....

Hope this clarifies.

anil

....  How does it differ from Bhel Puri?  Would I be able to get it at Dimple?

Jhal Muri - It is indeed different from Bhel Puri - It has no fried "sev" to begin with - Jhal Moori, has few basic ingredients - puffed rice,mustard oil,chopped onions,diced unripe green mangos, salt, red peppers and spice-mix which has black-rock-salt as one of the ingredients - more like chaat-masala but not quite....

Hope this clarifies.

Anil, I have also eaten it with some Kala Chanas added. But it was made by friends from Bangladesh.

All other ingredients are as you mention.

And of course, for some reason I often see it made with tomatoes added to the mix.