• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommend a Pressure Fryer / Slow Cooker?

protoman

So I'm thinking of buying a combination Pressure Fryer / Slow Cooker for my apartment -- I've used a Slow Cooker for years and loved it, but it needs replacing and I would be thrilled with something even more versatile.

Can anyone recommend a device like this? I'm looking for something small enough for an apartment (6-8 qts, preferably) that's durable, has solid temperature control, and functions well as both a pressure fryer and a slow cooker. A rice cooking feature would be a neat bonus, but not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Not for pressure frying, but Cuisinart makes a great electric pressure cooker. You can slow cook, saute, brown, simmer and keep warm as well as cook rice. The keep warm keeps soup at the ideal serving temp. It has replaced my crock pot, pressure cooker and rice cooker.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I don't know of any consumer Pressure "Fryers" on the market.

I have breen using a Fagor Multicooker for years. It's cheaper than the Cuisinart and has more functions. Pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, it also browns and keeps warm automatically. It's electric with digital controls and easy to use.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies: I saw both of those while looking at what was on the market, but kept looking because I wanted something I could use as a deep fryer. Presto has this but people complain that it does a poor job as a slow cooker. Fagor also has the Pressure Magic fryer/cooker but I don't think it functions as a slow cooker at all. Magefesa apparently has pressure fryers as well, but I haven't been able to track one down.

If it's any help as a frame of reference, I'd want the slow cooker to be able to cook pulled pork and the fryer to fry chicken. Thanks for any help!

I really like my Presto Kitchen Kettle. It's a virtually identical setup to that which you posted, except it has thicker sides than that stainless model. I haven't used it for traditional slow cooking, but I use it mainly for sous vide. It's quite good at this. It's also good at deep frying and boiling pasta water.

Although it doesn't seem as insulated as a dedicated slow cooker, I don't know why it wouldn't do the job. I routinely braise meat in very similar containers and the KK's sous vide duty has proved a good ability to keep a constant low temp.

I believe that there are other models of the Multi Cooker that are more like mine. This may be one of those cases where paying a bit more for stainless steel will actually mean getting an inferior product.

You might be right about that; I haven't seen anyone complain about using that model as a slow cooker, either. That seems like a solid (and inexpensive!) way to go. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Presto does pressure cooking/frying; it seems to be a regular deep fryer. For that price though, that's certainly ok.

I'm wondering if I couldn't just use those other pressure cookers as a crock pot by putting them on low heat. It seems like if it doesn't get too hot it should work fine, but then again I've never heard of anyone doing this.