• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Snadra (2010) - Cows to the bridge!

Snadra

I have really enjoyed the freshness of your cooking and eating style. As we in the other hemisphere are looking for our heavy Christmas meats (well turkey in my family), it was a refreshing change to see you thinking fish for the holiday. My Sydney living sis does grilled seafood for Christmas and I have always wanted to be there for the soy and honey grilled baby octopus. Oh and count me as an additional fan of the dowels in the big drawer- that is going into my "for future" file.

Thank you! I wish I could say we always eat so well - there are too many nights when we end up having toast or oatmeal in winter - but it's a lot easier when I've not got study hanging over my head. The last couple of years I have been making a real effort to simplify my cooking while still keeping it flavourful. There was a time when I would have tried to put a sauce of some kind on everything and have 3 sides, but these days I am focussing on cleaner and fresher flavours (and hoping my waistline responds as well). That doesn't mean it's not fun to go all out sometimes, but when it's mostly just the two of us eating I'm finding I waste less and we eat less too.

Although all the press is about Christmas seafood (and the Sydney Fish Market says that Christmas Eve is the busiest day of the year), you would be amazed at how much meat still gets eaten. A friend of mine was telling me that her family will be having ham, roast beef, turkey and seafood, but it will all be cold. My husband has less than fond childhood memories of hot Christmas lunches, with flaming puddings and all. When we have a choice we wait until evening to eat our celebratory meal, as we often find it too hot during the day (I think I am allergic to humidity :laugh: ).

Mind you, nothing beats the oddity of melting in the heat while hearing the 'the weather outside is frightful...'

I have really enjoyed the freshness of your cooking and eating style. As we in the other hemisphere are looking for our heavy Christmas meats (well turkey in my family), it was a refreshing change to see you thinking fish for the holiday. My Sydney living sis does grilled seafood for Christmas and I have always wanted to be there for the soy and honey grilled baby octopus. Oh and count me as an additional fan of the dowels in the big drawer- that is going into my "for future" file.

Thank you! I wish I could say we always eat so well - there are too many nights when we end up having toast or oatmeal in winter - but it's a lot easier when I've not got study hanging over my head. The last couple of years I have been making a real effort to simplify my cooking while still keeping it flavourful. There was a time when I would have tried to put a sauce of some kind on everything and have 3 sides, but these days I am focussing on cleaner and fresher flavours (and hoping my waistline responds as well). That doesn't mean it's not fun to go all out sometimes, but when it's mostly just the two of us eating I'm finding I waste less and we eat less too.

Although all the press is about Christmas seafood (and the Sydney Fish Market says that Christmas Eve is the busiest day of the year), you would be amazed at how much meat still gets eaten. A friend of mine was telling me that her family will be having ham, roast beef, turkey and seafood, but it will all be cold. My husband has less than fond childhood memories of hot Christmas lunches, with flaming puddings and all. When we have a choice we wait until evening to eat our celebratory meal, as we often find it too hot during the day (I think I am allergic to humidity :laugh: ).

Mind you, nothing beats the oddity of melting in the heat while hearing the 'the weather outside is frightful...'

Thank you so much for a wonderful blog. I am back in grad school myself and also switched to healthier simpler meals focusing on better quality ingredients. My husband and I both have benefited by some weight loss although my daughter really minds the lack of the more plentiful meals of the old days.

Really enjoyed learning a little about down under - it's on my bucket list to visit.

....Mind you, nothing beats the oddity of melting in the heat while hearing the 'the weather outside is frightful...'

Believe me, living all (well, ok, MOST) of my life in sunny SoCal, I can identify. Pulling trays of festively decorated Christmas cookies out of the oven, wearing shorts, flip-flops and a tank top, with my hair up in a knot on top of my head because it's 80°F outside with a dry wind is prime in my holiday memories....hating to turn on the oven on Christmas day to cook the "traditional" meal...oy !

"I'm dreaming of a White Christmas"....usually in SoCal its the tumbleweeds spray-painted white and stacked as a snowman !

Really enjoyed this Snadra. Let us know what you end up doing with that hominy. I've got posole on my agenda with mine this week !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thank you so much for a wonderful blog. I am back in grad school myself and also switched to healthier simpler meals focusing on better quality ingredients. My husband and I both have benefited by some weight loss although my daughter really minds the lack of the more plentiful meals of the old days.

Really enjoyed learning a little about down under - it's on my bucket list to visit.

Thank you!!

Well, we have a way to go before the weight loss hits, but it's good to hear a positive result from someone The two weeks of fast food towards the end of last term probably didn't help. :shock: I am finding a focus on simpler food makes me more appreciative of complex dishes when I have them.

Believe me, living all (well, ok, MOST) of my life in sunny SoCal, I can identify. Pulling trays of festively decorated Christmas cookies out of the oven, wearing shorts, flip-flops and a tank top, with my hair up in a knot on top of my head because it's 80°F outside with a dry wind is prime in my holiday memories....hating to turn on the oven on Christmas day to cook the "traditional" meal...oy !

"I'm dreaming of a White Christmas"....usually in SoCal its the tumbleweeds spray-painted white and stacked as a snowman !

Really enjoyed this Snadra. Let us know what you end up doing with that hominy. I've got posole on my agenda with mine this week !

That's why I pretty much stopped Christmas baking...it just made no sense to have winter smells on a hot day to make the house feel warm.

I will definitely keep you posted on the hominy!