• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MSG issue

SteveW

Ed, for as long as I can remember, MSG has always been associated with their use in Chinese restaurants. Although I'm sure MSG is used in other cuisines. What is the current situation of its use in America(at least in NYC) & Asia(focusing on Hong Kong), at Chinese restaurants across the board? Over your years in the industry, were the top Chinese restaurants in NYC, frequently spicing their dishes with MSG? Would you know nowadays, if the top fine dining Chinese restaurants in Hong Kong use MSG, as a general rule? Thanks in advance, for any input.

-------------------

Steve

MSG is a part of the flavor profile of Chinese food. It enables you to bring out flavor that can't be harnessed other ways. I personally approve of it, in very small quantities, but of course wouldn't serve it to someone who is sensitive to it. Not that you can't cook perfectly tasty food without it, but you will end up with a slightly different product/flavor.

Yes American Chinese restaurants use it. Chinese restaurants (and home cooks) use it all over the world!

Yes American Chinese restaurants use it. Chinese restaurants (and home cooks) use it all over the world!

And would you agree that some cooks and chefs use it also to bring out flavors in non-Chinese dishes? I have seen many chefs do that. In the US and elsewhere.

IN fact even in India, some home chefs keep ajino moto (sp?) in their pantries and use it as a secret little pinch of a family "spice" that can make quite a huge difference in how a dish ends up tasting.:shock:

Have you seen it used in other cuisines? Do you know home cooks and chefs that use MSG in other cuisines?

And would you agree that some cooks and chefs use it also to bring out flavors in non-Chinese dishes? I have seen many chefs do that. In the US and elsewhere.

IN fact even in India, some home chefs keep ajino moto (sp?) in their pantries and use it as a secret little pinch of a family "spice" that can make quite a huge difference in how a dish ends up tasting.:shock:

Have you seen it used in other cuisines? Do you know home cooks and chefs that use MSG in other cuisines?

MSG is used in more place than you think. It is used in other Asian cuisines and it is many prepared food products. I wouldn't associate with any particular ethnicity other than Chinese but they sell one hell of a lot of Accent (a brand of MSG) in this country. I sometimes use it in my own home cooking, but only when I feel an item needs a little pickmeup which I can't get from salt or spices. It's really good at giving vegetables a natural yet savory flavor, but be careful: too much on too many things and they will develop a sameness of taste.