• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Tropical Desserts

chocolate lover

Hi!

For a school project, I need to come up with a hot and cold dessert, along with a cake. For the hot dessert, I was thinking of making a banana creme brulee, the cake, mango mousse cake. But I couldn't think of any cold desserts to pair up with these 2 items. I didn't want to do a sherbet/ice cream for my cold dessert as it would be pretty risky and I was thinking of making jelly, with pineapple and coconut bits, but I'm afraid it would be too simple.

Any ideas to share? Thanks in advance! :)

-Putri

how about some sort of blancmange made with coconut milk and garnished with fruit and maybe some sort of scented nutty cookie or even a brittle.

I once made ice cream for a school project. I didn't think of it as risky.

Oh yes! good idea, i shall research on it! thanks for your advice! haha.ooo...I am just afraid that too many people will be using the ice cream machine.

how about some sort of blancmange made with coconut milk and garnished with fruit and maybe some sort of scented nutty cookie or even a brittle.

I once made ice cream for a school project. I didn't think of it as risky.

Oh yes! good idea, i shall research on it! thanks for your advice! haha.ooo...I am just afraid that too many people will be using the ice cream machine.

Oh, that's what you mean by risky...thought you meant you were worried about texture, or melting, or something. When I did it, making ice cream was not very common...long ago, obviously.

How about a frozen mousse - chocolate and passion fruit. Or semifreddo.

Coconut panna cotta with guava sauce and toasted coconut and macadamia nuts.

If you want to go more unique, look into pandan as a flavoring. Really a nice flavor.

Or ice cream mochi.

Baked alaska with coconut cake. There are so many ice creams you could pair with it. I love the many many tropical fruits - if you have access to them. Sour sop is really good. Ube is also fun with the color.

Or do ice cream sandwich for a playful twist. Macadamia nut cookies, stuffed with tropical ice creams.

Sheryl Davies

www.breakingbreadblog.com