• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Brea Star Anise Bread - Recipe?

mgaretz

• 2 weeks later...

On my second attempt I have a recipe that we love, and if memory serves is very much like what we had at the Napa Rose:

Ingredients (makes 2 loaves)

2 cups of all-purpose unbleached white flour

1.5 cups of whole wheat flour

1/2 cup of vital wheat gluten (see notes)

2 tsp instant yeast

1.5 cups warm water

3 tbs vegetable oil

1/3 cup dark molasses

1 tbs ground star anise powder (see notes)

3 tbs sugar

2 tsp sea salt

1 tbs caramel coloring (see notes)

Recipe:

Make sure the water is around 100 degrees, no more than 120 or you risk killing the yeast. Stir the yeast into the water and let it activate for 5 minutes or longer. Put all the dry ingredients into the bowl of your heavy duty stand mixer fitted with the dough hook and mix on low speed to combine the ingredients. Stop the mixer and add the liquid ingredients including the yeast. Mix on low speed for 5-7 minutes. The dough should be a slightly sticky ball.

Roll the dough into a ball and place into a lightly greased bowl and cover. Place the bowl in a warm area and let the dough rise to double it’s volume. This may take an hour or two depending on the temperature and freshness of the yeast. Remove the dough and punch it down. Cut into two equal pieces and form two loaves. Place the loaves on a lightly greased sheet pan, cover loosely and allow the dough to rise again. Once the loaves have risen again to about double, bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove and cool. Slice, eat and enjoy!

Notes: Vital wheat gluten is also known as do-pep and you can find it the cheapest in the bulk foods section of better markets or health food stores. Bob’s Red Mill also has it in packages in the baking aisle of most markets. Caramel coloring might be a bit harder to find - I get mine at Smart and Final, but try a restaurant or baking supply. You can omit it if you want, but the bread will be light brown instead of dark brown. Star anise powder can be had least expensively at an Asian grocery (or try an Indian grocery).

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs