• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harris Poll 8/'10: Half of Americans Watch Cooking Shows

johnnyd

Besides trying to make the dishes shown on cooking channels, those who watch these shows can be influenced to potentially purchase some of the food they see being prepared, along with the gadgets the chefs use and even the cookbooks the star-chefs have written. In fact, over half (57%) of those who watch these shows say they have purchased food as a direct result of something they've seen on a cooking show. Over one-third (36%) say they have purchased small kitchen gadgets, 24% have purchased cookbooks and 6% have even purchased large appliances as a direct result of something they've seen on a cooking show.

Harris Interactive Poll - 8/13/10 -

The article features the top ten cooking shows, a survey of adults on watching habits and purchasing habits as a result of watching. Predictably, baby boomers score high.

So What?

Cooking shows are big business. They can boost viewership for networks and can also spur show collateral, such as cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. Additionally, many TV chefs have their own restaurants that can draw viewers and fans of the show to dine there. Besides business, cooking shows are also a form of escapism for many people. And, while many may have a little Martha Stewart in them, who can actually do the perfect soufflé? However, watching these shows makes cooking look so easy, that it's likely many file away those recipes as something they would "love to make later."

Oh, and Rachel Ray is the most watched cooking show.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Wow. That's much higher than I would have thought. And I'm also surprised at the gender distribution, which is nearly equal: 46% men, 54% women.

I wonder when and how people watch these shows. Day or night? Live? DVR?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

We definitely have food shows of some sort on regularly. I rarely write down a recipe or anything, but often make little mental notes of something to research and try. I am much more of a baker, but I'm learning to cook adequately too, and picking up little techniques and tricks never hurts ;).

I prefer to watch cooking shows when I have the time. Sometimes I will try a recipe from one, but usually it is to get inspiration and techniques more than the actual recipes.

For instance, I saw a show where they made roasted potatos, quartered, with just some olive oil, salt and pepper, in a 400 degree oven. I took that technique and was soon applying it to most other root vegetables, as well as brussel sprouts, julienned bell peppers, etc.

I have never actually made the potatos on their own as shown on the program.

On a side note though, the show I have made the most recipes (as well as the most successful recipes) from is Alton Brown's Good Eats. He makes more things I want to eat than most other chefs on television, and all of his recipes, while somewhat eclectic in technique, are tailored to the home cook.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

I can report that the male teenagers and young adults I know regularly watch cooking shows. Some of them state that they want to be able to make something special to impress a girl. Others find the theater of cooking interesting. Of course the plethora of contest type shows with wild personalities like Gordan Ramsey feed into the whole reality show phenomenon. The funny thing is that terms and concepts stick with them, so when I serve something different they ask more pointed questions rather than just scarfing or grunting.

On a side note though, the show I have made the most recipes (as well as the most successful recipes) from is Alton Brown's Good Eats. He makes more things I want to eat than most other chefs on television, and all of his recipes, while somewhat eclectic in technique, are tailored to the home cook.

I think calling many of the current hosts of cooking shows "chef" is being generous. I'm completely over the "Next Food Network Star" concept. Don't give me just another "Joe". Give me someone who's been in the trenches and will teach me something.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It seems like their definition of "Cooking Show" may be a lot broader than what many of us would call a "cooking show". Stuff like "Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives" counts. So does "Top Chef". Neither of those shows are really conventional "how to" shows that actually try to teach people how to cook. Once you start including stuff like that, and "Unwrapped" and probably "Man vs. Food", then I can don't have much troubles buying the 50% number they came up with.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"