• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Never before seen liquor - help!

uncletrouble

I have a bottle in front of me called "Old Breed" It is described as "Beer Flavored Distilled Spirits" The label further expounds "This unique beer-flavored spirit has been distilled from the finest Canadian beers and grain spirits with natural flavors and caramel color added."

It is "Imported and Bottled by the Old Breed Co. Baltimore, Maryland. Alc. 40% by Vol. (80 proof)"

My undersatnding is that it was made by Seagram's and while the bottle (200ml.) and label look old and faded, I don't think the product is particularly old. The seal is still intact.

I have never heard of this, and I've heard of most, but wondering if any of the tall foreheads out there might shed some light.

Sounds like a Bierbrand. I was introduced to the style not too long ago by Koval here in Chicago...not unpleasant, but nothing particularly remarkable on first tasting.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a bottle I picked up probably in the late 80's or early 90's.

Flask shaped 200ml.

Not totally unpleasant - but just kind of a Canadian Beer flavored whiskey. They used to sell this stuff in Upstate New York but it never really caught on. It really was a product in search of a audience - neither fish nor fowl . Never saw the point of it.

Keep it for reference/curiosity (like far too many bottles I have)

The Pleasures of Exile are Imperfect at Best, At Worst They Rot the Liver.

Spirits Review.com