• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snackies for 30 twelve year olds.

Lilija

My son's police camp youth week thing ends on Friday, and they're having a party. Pizza will be donated, some of the moms are covering desserts, others are on chips, and the beverages are covered.

They asked me to bring something to have along with the pizza, some kind of finger food.

-No allergies to worry about (woo!)

-I live two houses away from the firehouse where this party will be held, so portability is a minimal issue.

-A veggie platter is out of the question (Because that was my first idea)

Worst case scenario, if I can't think of anything else, I was contemplating grabbing a huge bag of mozzarella sticks at Costco, baking them here, and jogging them down the block, hot. I'd like to be more creative, though.

Ideas?

Filipino-style spring rolls (lumpiang shanghai). They're small and easy to eat. You can also prepare them the day before (or several days before) and freeze them, or fry them up that day and bake to reheat before bringing them over.

When I make them, I just use ground pork, black pepper, garlic, and fish sauce (instead of salt), but most recipes are more complex than mine. I usually serve them with Thai sweet chile sauce, but you could use plum sauce for the kids.

Sausage rolls are also good. Real sausage rolls, not pigs in the blanket, but those are good, too. If you do real sausage rolls, you can add some vegetables to your sausage meat (I'll usually add asparagus or red or orange bell pepper) to make them a little more healthful.

Hmmm, some very good ideas here. The spring rolls might get ignored, for being "different" because I made fried won tons a year ago for the same crowd, and brought back most of em. I might make them for home, though...same with the baked zucchini sticks. Everything sounds very good!

So far my own kid is leaning towards the sausage rolls, wings, or fajitas...

You already have masses of dough with the pizza so chicken nuggets might be well received with some dipping sauces. Keep it simple though because with pizza, chips and dips and dessert they have lots already.