• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecued chicken: respek!

Celeste, that is my perfered method of cooking a chicken. Indirect heat for anywhere between 40min to just over an hour depending on the heat. I might flip to get help render some more fat out of the skin but this must be done with care since even over indirect heat flare ups are possible.

Re: Barbecue nomenclature --

In Memphis barbecue circles, "barbecue" is pulled pork. Can be either whole hog or shoulder. Chicken cooked in similar fashion is "barbecue(d) chicken. Turkey, however, is smoked turkey; not sure why. Ribs are just ribs, the presumption being no one would be foolish enough to do anything with ribs other than barbecue them.

Is this observation supported by menu language? I haven't done a full study, but I pulled up the Corky's menu and it doesn't use that nomenclature. Then again Corky's may not be authoritative. In any event:

http://www.corkysmemphis.com/dinein-menu.pdf

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Kosher chickens have been slaughtered and processed according to the kosher dietary laws, but the thing that makes them useful for barbecuing is that they're brined.

It is my understanding that koshered poultry is salted, not brined. That is, a surface coating of dry salt is used to draw out moisture rather than an immersion in liquid salt water which adds moisture. Is that not how it's done now?

PS: I am a guy.

Saying kosher chicken is brined is shorthand. The actual process is soak-salt-rinse and there's some intricacy to the exact timing. The net effect seems to be about the same as a short brining cycle.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)